Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I got rejected from... all my target schools.

I still am waiting on decisions from other schools, but nearly all of my target schools have rejected me with one waitlist. I've also been rejected from two safety schools. While I expected mostly rejections mostly because of how late I applied, I wasn't expecting purely rejections.

I work at a firm now and am content staying here for the short-term, but I would prefer not to be here another year waiting to reapply. I would also rather bolster my GPA and LSAT than my experience, as my experience is good but my GPA and scores are definitely what are severely lacking on my transcript.

So... what now?

Comments

• claremontclaremont Core Member
    590 karma

Study for and retake LSAT. If you’re still in school get As. Apply again around September.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

As @claremont said, bolster GPA and LSAT as much as you can. Given a full year, you can drastically increase your scores and crush admissions.

• kanel1995kanel1995 Member
    226 karma

Sorry about this. If you don't mind, could you disclose your stats and what schools rejected you? I feel like there might be a lesson here for me. If not, that's okay. Thanks

• soapsoapsoapsoapsoapsoap Core Member
    53 karma

If you're still working on your first bachelors, I would say take the time to improve that and work on your LSAT. Maybe this can be an opportunity to get scholarships next cycle. But if you've already completed your bachelors, your GPA is kind of set in stone.

• edited April 2022 6 karma

I have a BA and took a gap year to work and figure things out, which probably made things worse from a personal standpoint.

@kanel1995 said:
    Sorry about this. If you don't mind, could you disclose your stats and what schools rejected you? I feel like there might be a lesson here for me. If not, that's okay. Thanks

I had a 3.1 GPA and 145 LSAT. Low GPA came because of a lot of extracurriculars, and low LSAT came from a lot of personal hardship over the last 3 years.

I applied to about ten 147-193 ranked schools and received five rejections and one waitlist from the schools I was intent on attending. Still waiting on other decisions obviously, but am not counting on good news (which is fine).

Among my rejections: New England Boston (Waitlist), Stetson, St. Thomas Miami, Loyola NOLA, NSU, Univ. of Memphis.

Obviously have also received rejections from all reach and super reach schools that have provided decisions thus far.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Work on your LSAT. It will be worth the time. I know more than a few sub 3.0 GPA applicants who are now T14 students.

• kanel1995kanel1995 Member
    226 karma

Thanks for getting back to me. Like a lot of people have suggested already, you can work on improving your LSAT score. It's very doable. Good luck with everything!

• Hinde SophiaHinde Sophia Alum Member
    165 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Work on your LSAT. It will be worth the time. I know more than a few sub 3.0 GPA applicants who are now T14 students.

This is super encouraging <3 thank you for sharing

• Yan WangYan Wang Member
    285 karma

I was in the same boat the last cycle and got rejected from all target schools. I would agree that keeping working on and improving the LSAT score is the best way to increase your chance if you decide to apply next cycle.

• Matthew19941Matthew19941 Core Member
    102 karma

I would say retake the LSAT at the time best convenient for you. I've taken the test three times (canceled one score) and went up from 148 to 154. I'm studying to re-take it again as I feel I am capable of getting a higher score.

• marcio.cracelmarcio.cracel Member
    9 karma

Hey Charlie,
    I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate series of events. I know failure can be discouraging especially when you're in college trying to set up your post graduation life. I am in the same boat. Seeing my best friend get accepted into his dream law school and seeing all my other friends get their dream jobs or go to grad school made me feel like I was behind.

One major piece of advice from me to you would to take life at your own pace. Do not let other people's accomplishments dictate the speed, readiness, or validity of your own life's course.

I graduated May of 2021 and am set on taking the LSAT this coming Friday, April 29th. I canceled my first score of the November LSAT after "studying" for 3 months where I did the bare minimum and lost interest due to an improper diagnosis of ADHD.

Now medicated and feeling like myself again, my PT scores shot up 15 points and I feel ready given my last 2 months have been entirely devoted to LSAT prep.

You're still in college. Don't rush. You can and will improve your LSAT score and a 3.1 GPA isn't bad, dude! Unless you're looking at T-14 (even though with great credentials, personal statements, and a good LSAT score you can still get in) to do corporate law, you're going to be okay.

Breathe, life is too short to worry this much. You got this. You will go to law school.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

Improve your LSAT. Your GPA sounds like it is already locked in, so there's no improving that but a high LSAT can easily outweigh a lower GPA. I was on the opposite end of the spectrum and had a high GPA and lower LSAT score but I still got into 6/10 schools I applied. The 4 I didn't get into were definitely reaches for me but I still gave it a shot. Just finished my first year of 1L yesterday so do not be discouraged! You go this.

• hotranchsaucehotranchsauce Member
    288 karma

Look at your LSAT score as a reflection of what your current state of mind is. What I mean is this: All your other application materials (GPA, letters of rec, resume experiences, etc) are phantoms of your past, whether good or bad. The LSAT shows the law school you're applying to WHO YOU ARE RIGHT NOW (approximately, give or take a couple years). The LSAT is your chance to show them that you are a bad ass mother f** RIGHT NOW. Maybe it takes some people 1-3 years of prep in order to hit their LSAT goal on an official test, but a good official score still tells them you're a bad ass RIGHT NOW. It's a huge boost for your application. Of course, applying earlier is always better. You'll do that next time. But are you working on your LSAT score like you should be?

• alo100500alo100500 Live Member
    1 karma

@charliemetzger23
    Would you be able to let us know what you decided to do or if any other school accepted you? I am on the same boat with a 3.1 GPA and a 145 on the lsat.