Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What order to study LR question types

BennWalkBennWalk Core Member
edited May 2022 in Logical Reasoning 38 karma

Hello! I hope all is well! Does anyone know what order of question types JY recommends to study for LR?

I'm sure it goes: 1. MP/MC, 2. MSS, 3. AP, 4. WEAKEN, 5. STRENGTHEN etc... (If i messed up that order please correct me lol)

But what goes after those (according to 7sages advice)? Thanks!

Happy studying!

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

I’d recommend doing them in the order the core curriculum has set up. The 7Sage admins always recommend going through the core curriculum in order and I think many of the questions you learn about later build on earlier question types.

• maco4538maco4538 Alum Member
    323 karma

Truuuuust me: getting argument structures down and then moving on to evaluating arguments is the only route you should take (and the syllabus is not set up perfectly in this aspect).
    First, mastering argument structure:
    1. Main Point
    2. Argument Part
    3. Method of Reasoning
    4. Agree/Disagree

Don't even think about moving on until you can handle these QT.

Second, inferences within arguments:
    5. NA (the thing that justifies starting an argument)
    6. SA (the thing that justifies ending an argument)
    7. MSS (find the missing conclusion or missing sub-conclusion)

Third, conditional logic:
    8. MBT
    9.MBF

Fourth, Evaluating arguments:
    10. Flaw
    11. Strengthening
    12. Weakening
    13. Resolve/Reconcile

Until you are proficient at argument parts and inferences, evaluating arguments will not come easy or intuitively.

Fifth, Replicating argument structures/evaluations
    13. Parallel method of reasoning (requires proficiency in argument parts and conditional logic)
    14. Parallel Flaw (required proficiency in argument parts, conditional logic, and evaluating arguments.

Half of LR is Argument structure, inferences and conditional logic. The other, more difficult half, I evaluating arguments and replicating them.

• BennWalkBennWalk Core Member
    38 karma

Thank you both!!!

• BennWalkBennWalk Core Member
    38 karma

@maco4538 Thank you for the specific breakdown!