Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inference vs MBT

edited May 2022 in Logical Reasoning 175 karma

Going through some problem sets and I've noticed that inference and MBT are labelled distinctly despite that fact that I thought they were identical question types. Am I missing some nuance between the two?

Comments

• kanel1995kanel1995 Member
    226 karma

Like you said they're "identical", not =. For example, "John is the tallest person in his class. Mary is in John's class." In this case, it MBT that John is taller than Mary. Inferences on the other hand, are just strongly supported conclusions. They're often not as strong as MBT. They must not be true, but they can be reasonably concluded, given certain premises.

Hope that makes sense

• 175 karma

John is taller than Mary is a logical inference though, in that it must be true. MSS is not the same thing as a proper inference. An example stem from an LSAT is "which of the following can be properly inferred from the statements above". Any answer that could be false would not be acceptable, even if it's supported.

• maco4538maco4538 Alum Member
    323 karma

They are similar in principle but they have different approaches. When you see a MBT, you should automatically switch into your "conditional logic" mode and map out the argument. The correct AC on a MBT question will be found somewhere in your logic map or its contrapositive's map. An inference question in LR is more attune to inference questions you would see in Reading Comp. For example, an inference questions might ask you to infer attitudes, tone and views of the author. The correct AC on an inference question will be found by identifying the relevant player, and using evidence substantiated in the stimulus to draw an inference about that player.

• kanel1995kanel1995 Member
    226 karma

@"If Glory then Guts" said:
    John is taller than Mary is a logical inference though, in that it must be true. MSS is not the same thing as a proper inference. An example stem from an LSAT is "which of the following can be properly inferred from the statements above". Any answer that could be false would not be acceptable, even if it's supported.

Not sure I ever said MSS is same as inference. But anyway, I hope you find a clearer, more helpful response to your question.

• claremontclaremont Core Member
    edited May 2022 590 karma

@"If Glory then Guts",

I think it's a good question. I haven't given it too much thought before now to be honest and I'm not entirely sure this is accurate, but my initial reaction is that MBT questions are based on stimuli that are argumentative, i.e., have a conclusion that is supported by premises. And that INF. questions are based on stimuli that are premise sets, i.e., no conclusion, just premises.

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited May 2022 6866 karma

Don't make the mistake of mixing up the task with the strategy employed to do that task. The definition of an inference has nothing to do with the specific content of the stimulus or the strategy you approach the question with.

An inference is a conclusion reached on the basis reasoning. The way you label an inference question simply describes the strength of the inference you are being asked for - a perfect one in the case of a MBT question, a very strong one in the case of a MSS question, and a totally false one in the case of a MBF question. The LSAT will always be clear about the strength of the statement they are asking you for, so don't overthink it.