Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ADHD Study Tips

Emily SloanEmily Sloan Member
in General 84 karma

Hi Folks,

I haven't seen a lot of discussions regarding study tips tailored to those with ADHD. I wanted to share some things that I have found have been working for me, and tips I wish I knew before beginning my LSAT journey. I hope it helps you too! (even if you don't have ADHD) I doubted a lot of my potential because of my diagnosis however, these things have really helped my confidence to know that I am 100% capable of scoring above my goal, and getting into one of my top choice law schools.

1. I downloaded the Flow App (free), and it has timers to work/study, then timers for breaks between work. It blocks apps so that you are unable to open them during your study session, and only on breaks. You can set the duration of the study periods and breaks (even include a larger break in the middle.) I did pay extra to have to ability to have the "commitment mode" so you can't pause the timer, and you can block websites in addition to apps (Only $1 per month).

2. SCHEDULE! I put into my Apple Calendar and/or Microsoft to do App exactly the duration my study period will be and what I would be doing (ex. prep test #, reviewing etc). Act like this is any other important appointment that's non-negotiable. Find out what time is optimal for you. I study best in afternoons and evenings, so I rarely scheduled study sessions in the mornings to make sure I set myself up for success.

3. Physically put your phone in another room on DND. It might seem obvious but it will help you from subconsciously grabbing it, or responding to texts or calls that can wait.

4. Do prep tests on zoom with a friend or study buddy. Even though you're not communicating, it keeps you and them accountable and in sync.

5. Regular exercise, especially at the beginning of the day. This can be a struggle, but every time I do it, I notice I am much more energized and attentive that day.

6. If you have a diagnosis request extra time!! I didn't know this at first, and almost missed the deadline for submitting the accommodation request for June.

Please add to the discussion if you have any tips or recommendations to add.

Emily

Comments

• sb253310sb253310 Member
    58 karma

Agree with the above and really emphasizing the power of #4: I relied heavily on coworking while studying for the LSAT (especially when I wasn't doing PTs, because the person I was working with didn't have to be someone studying for the LSAT too, since I could break my work up into 30-35 minute work sessions with 5 minute breaks in between). Body doubling is hugely beneficial for a lot of ADHDers and I don't think I'd be able to have consistently studied without that!

• divya326divya326 Member
    60 karma

I love these! Also to add:

Wear shoes while studying: I can't remember where I first learned this but it helps so much to keep from getting too relaxed and I think it tricks my brain into thinking in I'm in "on the go" mode or something.

I also have found it very helpful to take practice tests in a different room, not at my desk in my bedroom. My apartment has small study rooms with literally nothing but a table and chairs, and I've also been able to sneak into an empty office at my dad's work on the weekends. I plan to take my official test in one of those two spots. No chance of getting flagged because there is literally nothing in the room and it feels more official to go somewhere different and have none of my familiar comforts around.

Also, really want to echo the point about accommodations. I had a bit of an ego about getting them at first, but it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Also highly recommend experimenting with medication strategies if you take any. I have found which windows of the day I do best during and prioritize studying during those times when I can.

• madisont144madisont144 Member
    108 karma

How long did it take for your accommodations to be approved?

• ToriLSAT-1-1ToriLSAT-1-1 Member
    36 karma

Is there any negatives to requesting an ADHD accommodation? I think I also struggle with ego and don't know if it slaps a negative label on me that admissions will look down on.

• Emily SloanEmily Sloan Member
    84 karma

@"ToriLSAT-1" said:
    Is there any negatives to requesting an ADHD accommodation? I think I also struggle with ego and don't know if it slaps a negative label on me that admissions will look down on.

From the LSAC Policy "Please note that LSAC does not annotate the score reports of individuals with disabilities who take the LSAT with testing accommodations, including the accommodation of extended testing time"

84 karma

@madisont144 said:
    How long did it take for your accommodations to be approved?

It was less than 2 weeks. The deadlines are on their website!

• mcwilliams20mcwilliams20 Core Member
    edited June 2022 18 karma

I seriously appreciate these tips more than you could ever know. Thank you!!

I did get accommodations for September, but I still struggle. It's so hard to me to focus, but I'm going to download the Flow app and see how that goes. Subconsciously grabbing my phone is one of my biggest distractions.

• ovidovid Member
    89 karma

Thank you for these tips, I struggle with a lot of the same things. One of my biggest issues is fidgeting during tests... it noticeably cuts down my time.
    Has anyone been in the process of getting formal treatment/diagnosis while also studying for the LSAT? I probably won't be able to get accommodations, but I'd love to get a professional opinion before law school at least.

84 karma

@ovid Yes! I started studying in January and I received my diagnosis in March. I really had to advocate for myself but I was able to be diagnosed by my family doctor (I am in Canada).

• 219 karma

I LOVED seeing this thread - these are so good! I'm in the same spot. Did not know I was ADD until my daughter was born, turns out that is super normal. Girls with ADD are often overlooked in K-12. I did request accommodation with extra time, and I have one thing to add to your list about that. If you have the accommodation for time and a half, do not underestimate how LONG this makes your exam. I discovered that it made the testing day feel extra burdensome. While I was taking practice tests under day-of testing conditions, I did not factor in additional time for problems. For example - the test did not kick off at exactly when I thought it would. It took more like 45 mins to an hour for the proctor to get things set up the way they wanted it. Physically sitting and getting fidgety waiting for the exam to begin threw me for a loop. Then the testing time with the breaks seemed routine, but there was a moment during my exam when we had to stop the test for a connectivity issue. This was another lengthy break. All said and done it took way longer to sit for the exam than I anticipated. This meant that my brain was focusing and felt stress longer than I practiced. And for my ADD, with intense focus for a very long amount of time, I want to nap. It was very exhausting. Practice this way over and over to improve your endurance. I wish I had. I tested on test day about 3-4 points lower than I do during practice tests.

• JFlores005JFlores005 Core Member
    11 karma

Is this the link for the flow app? https://flowapp.info

• plong222plong222 Member
    50 karma

thank you for this, these are so helpful! I have ADD and struggling with actual reading comprehension. I'll get halfway to 3/4 through a passage and realize I haven't retained any of it and have to reread...which is not something the LSAT gives you time to do lol. I am planning to request for time and a half but was wondering if anyone had any ADD tips for reading/retaining information? thanks!

• Wondering how those with accommodations found it to work out on the actual test. Besides my doctor noting it can be hard to get approved, I was worried that the extra time might be hard on my mental endurance. I always do way worse on my last section during PTs for example.

• amcgowanamcgowan Free Trial Member
    3 karma

It seems really unfair that extra time on an LSAT isn't noted in any way. Just read an article about the socioeconomic disparities among students diagnosed and given "504" status which gives them special accommodations - it's bad. If someone gets a 174 with extra time and I get a 174 in the initially-allotted time, there should be a record of that, if we're competing for the same spots in law school.

• Juan23vrJuan23vr Live Member
    298 karma

weed

• ovidovid Member
    89 karma

@amcgowan said:
    It seems really unfair that extra time on an LSAT isn't noted in any way. Just read an article about the socioeconomic disparities among students diagnosed and given "504" status which gives them special accommodations - it's bad. If someone gets a 174 with extra time and I get a 174 in the initially-allotted time, there should be a record of that, if we're competing for the same spots in law school.

That would be blatant discrimination against test takers who have disabilities. Your claim that it is 'unfair' presumes that those who seek and have accommodations are not actually making use of them (i.e., "need" them). It's subjective for everyone. If you are neurotypical and don't need accommodations, that doesn't mean your test is any harder. Accommodations just makes the playing field more level for those who are not neurotypical.

• 16 karma

How do you know if you rly have ADHD? I have been suspecting growing up that I have difficulty focusing on doing things but, fortunately, exams are never too difficult for me to fail at them or whatever... until LSAT. so I have been thinking about getting diagnosed to see if I could have some reasonable accomodations but seeing other comments esp. regarding how sometimes prolonging the test might actually make it worse coz you are so damn tired having sit there for hours when you are in the last section or two.....

Any thought on this?

help

• divya326divya326 Member
    60 karma

@MurphyBrown2ElleWoods maybe a better accommodation for you would be extra breaks instead of extended time

84 karma
    84 karma

@MurphyBrown2ElleWoods Me too! I just practiced, practiced and practised and my stamina eventually increased. Be patient. You may find with practice you don't need the extra time as much as you did in the beginning but it's there if needed if you're approved. :)

84 karma

@dannywuzhifeng There are online extended quizzes to help determine if you do. I would google those and take a few. Reach out to your doctor and show him your results and tell him your concerns/ reasons you think you may have it.

84 karma

@perjlong Try brown noise? (Similar to white noise but I find it's more effective.) Pause after each sentence or section and put it into your own words in your head. Keep practicing. If you're really struggling reach out to your doctor, and see if medication is an option for you. This is just what has worked for me! Good luck.

• @amcgowan said:

Do you have a disability making the test harder? If not, then understand that accommodations are bringing up those that do to that level. Thank you.

• @dannywuzhifeng said:
    How do you know if you rly have ADHD? I have been suspecting growing up that I have difficulty focusing on doing things but, fortunately, exams are never too difficult for me to fail at them or whatever... until LSAT. so I have been thinking about getting diagnosed to see if I could have some reasonable accomodations but seeing other comments esp. regarding how sometimes prolonging the test might actually make it worse coz you are so damn tired having sit there for hours when you are in the last section or two.....

Any thought on this?

help

I started realizing I might have symptoms in my mid-20s when I was no longer new in my field but still struggled to keep up with basic tasks at work. I found in a doctor in my network who did an assessment (took about 2 hours, had cognitive tests and questions about my symptoms). We then started medication at the lowest dose until I found a level that works for me. Hope this helps!

• @divya326 this is a great idea that I will look into! thank you!

• @ovid said:

@amcgowan said:

That would be blatant discrimination against test takers who have disabilities. Your claim that it is 'unfair' presumes that those who seek and have accommodations are not actually making use of them (i.e., "need" them). It's subjective for everyone. If you are neurotypical and don't need accommodations, that doesn't mean your test is any harder. Accommodations just makes the playing field more level for those who are not neurotypical.

Exactly right. The LSAC was actually forced to stop marking it because of this: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/law-school-admission-council-agrees-systemic-reforms-and-773-million-payment-settle-justice

• Justinnnn-1Justinnnn-1 Member
    78 karma

@amcgowan said:

I'd gladly trade you places and complete this test without my accommodations, and get into law school without suffering from the aftereffects of a life threatening TBI when I was ejected from my vehicle and needed multiple brain surgeries after completing my undergrad... The strength (or lack there of) of your argument gives a great impetus that your example is far from reality anyways. I.e. Check your assumptions, especially when you blatantly flaunt them on an LSAT forum.

• ghl___07ghl___07 Core Member
    9 karma

@dannywuzhifeng said:

Any thought on this?

help

Lol, I think it's really common for people with ADHD (particularly those who were never assessed as children or went through most of their lives not being aware of any issue) to question if they really have ADHD. Continue doing research, including reading about others' experiences with ADHD, and making note of what symptoms and experiences associated with ADHD you experience personally. This will facilitate the diagnosis process, as your psychiatrist will ask for that kind of information.

As to the last thing you said, I completely agree. When I asked for accommodations, I specifically requested only a small time extension because I knew that I would really struggle stamina-wise with a greater time extension that would make the overall test way longer. I was approved for up to time-and-a-half but declined that option in favor of the smaller time extension I originally requested.

• ezavila92ezavila92 Member
    26 karma

@amcgowan said:

We're studying for the LSAT, but you can't see why your argument is flawed?

"504" status? Are you talking about Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act? I looked at studies that had to do with Section 504 and socioeconomic disparities, and nothing is even close to relevant to your argument that time accommodations on the LSAT are unfair. You just read an article that talks about lower income children and their access to special education and that relates to your gripes about LSAT accommodations how? What is actually unfair is, every year, many students are disproportionately penalized by the LSAT because their brains are wired differently, potentially costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars or untold career opportunities. Im sure every single person who legitimately qualifies for accommodations would rather not need them, these disabilities don't just manifest during the LSAT, these people have had to deal with these learning difficulties for their entire lives.

• HopefullyHLSHopefullyHLS Member
    445 karma

My 2 cents on whether extended time is unfair or not:

I think it is fair since, as stated above, it would be otherwise discriminating towards people who have been diagnosed with AD(H)D. Provided that time extension is calibrated based on individual intensity of the disorder, I think it‘s fair to say that everybody starts from the same starting point (everything else being equal).

That said, I believe that practice is unfair to international test takers with AD(H)D, since the barrier to get a diagnose in another region outside the US could be higher.

For instance, I got my Master‘s degree from a US university, and because I had been facing issues with staying focused for years, I decided to visit a psychiatrist there. After the first session, she already prescribed me Adderall (and I am sure that it could have been Ritalin had I adjusted the discussion accordingly).

After my studies, I went back to my home country (EU), and visited another therapist there. She shockingly let me know that Adderall was illegal in the EU. After me bringing AD(H)D into the discussion, she told me that in order to make a diagnose she would need all my grades from elementary school, since AD(H)D is in most of the cases apparent from childhood. I told her that I got straight A‘s in elementary school, though throughout my school time needed double the time compared to classmates with similar GPA. She ignored this information...

Obviously, for me it would be impossible to take an AD(H)D-quiz from the internet, go with the results to a doctor, and get it diagnosed, as was suggested a few posts above...

• SBSCTMMMSBSCTMMM Member
    35 karma

@HopefullyHLS said:
    My 2 cents on whether extended time is unfair or not:

I think it is fair since, as stated above, it would be otherwise discriminating towards people who have been diagnosed with AD(H)D. Provided that time extension is calibrated based on individual intensity of the disorder, I think it‘s fair to say that everybody starts from the same starting point (everything else being equal).

That said, I believe that practice is unfair to international test takers with AD(H)D, since the barrier to get a diagnose in another region outside the US could be higher.

For instance, I got my Master‘s degree from a US university, and because I had been facing issues with staying focused for years, I decided to visit a psychiatrist there. After the first session, she already prescribed me Adderall (and I am sure that it could have been Ritalin had I adjusted the discussion accordingly).

After my studies, I went back to my home country (EU), and visited another therapist there. She shockingly let me know that Adderall was illegal in the EU. After me bringing AD(H)D into the discussion, she told me that in order to make a diagnose she would need all my grades from elementary school, since AD(H)D is in most of the cases apparent from childhood. I told her that I got straight A‘s in elementary school, though throughout my school time needed double the time compared to classmates with similar GPA. She ignored this information...

Obviously, for me it would be impossible to take an AD(H)D-quiz from the internet, go with the results to a doctor, and get it diagnosed, as was suggested a few posts above...

Did you get the LSAT accommodation in the end? I am also an international test taker and all my diagnosis records are not in English...