Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

part of the sentence after until or without sufficient or necessary?

luckycharm2022luckycharm2022 Core Member
edited June 2022 in Logical Reasoning 57 karma

Hi guys- I am aware from the lessons that until/without is negate sufficient.
But is part of the sentence after until or without necessary condition? (I think this is what Powerscore said)

I am also including an explanation from this website - lsatmax.

https://testmaxprep.com/blog/lsat/the-unless-statement

We played until it got dark.
/play > Dark (after until)

According to some of JY's explanations, this appears to be the case sometimes but sometimes not.
(or maybe I just got confused... not sure.. haha)
So I get really confused whenever I try to map out sentences including until/without.

Thank you! Much appreciated

Comments

• You Gotta Show MeYou Gotta Show Me Yearly Member
    93 karma

A good thing to remember is conceptualizing contrapositive of group 3 and group 4 logical indicators for whatever idea you choose to make as SC and NC.

Your example: /Play -> Dark. Translated back to english: if we did not play, then it was dark.

Contrapositive: /Dark -> Play. Translated back to english: if it was not dark, then we played.

As you can see, either works.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

I don’t think LSATMax’s explanation is in conflict with JY’s. From what I can tell, they say the same thing, but the methodology is slightly different.

The difference is that LSATMax recommends always making the part of the sentence before the “unless” or “without” the sufficient condition and making the part of the sentence after those words the necessary condition. So, regardless of how the sentence is structured, you know to negate the first part, make it the sufficient condition, keep the second part as it is, and make it the necessary condition.

JY, on the other hand, states that you can negate either part of the sentence and make it the sufficient condition. Logically, this is the same as always negating the first part of the sentence. If you choose to negate the second part of the sentence and make it the sufficient condition, then you create the contrapositive of if you negated the first part of the sentence and made it the sufficient condition. As we know, contrapositives are logically equivalent. So, in effect, LSATMax and JY are teaching the same thing. I imagine that LSATMax recommends always negating the same part of the sentence for the sake of simplicity, but it’s logically equivalent to what JY teaches.

• luckycharm2022luckycharm2022 Core Member
    57 karma

Thank you both ! :) this really helps

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    edited June 2022 417 karma

I almost always function with what comes after the until/without as necessary condition and negate the other part. However sometimes it just makes more sense to do it the other way around. We want to remain flexible.