Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I get FASTER at LG?

rivastobrivastob Core Member
in Logic Games 20 karma

Just broke 170 on a PT (174 BR), with -0 in LR and RC. -10 or something in LG.

I very consistently get to the last game with about 5 minutes remaining, which just isn't enough.

I think I lose a lot of time on must be true/must be false questions where the answer isn't immediately obvious just by looking, bc I have to go through each answer, making inferences based on its condition, eliminating it, and repeating the process with the next one.

Question explanations aren't very helpful because, given enough time, I can get the correct answer to basically any LG question--the issue is just timing.

I feel like there's either some technique or strategy I'm missing, or I just need to practice lots more and build up an intuition that will help me move through them quickly?

I'd love to hear input from people in a similar boat as me: high diagnostic test (-2 and -3 on RC/LR) with bombed LG, then rapid improvement on LG but still struggling with time. Does it get better?

Comments

• Juan23vrJuan23vr Live Member
    298 karma

think faster

• ary_in_a_rarri-1ary_in_a_rarri-1 Core Member
    33 karma

practice??

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

Speed with LG typically seems to come from becoming more comfortable with the game types, learning consistent and effective ways to diagram rules that repeat, learning inferences that repeat and how to see how rules interact, and a lot of practice. Have you attempted the “fool proofing method?” Many people on this forum swear by it (including most high scorers).

• 5Fennel LSAT5Fennel LSAT Member
    192 karma

Not common advice given on the forum, but try to go extremely slowly on a game set with intent to complete a game with the most complete upfront inferences.

For each question, identify the key inference that it is implied to be testing. Take unrestricted time each question with the fewest steps possible - avoid brute force testing each answer choice. Sometimes you might find an even cleaner way of solving a question than those of the 7sage videos. Over time you might develop LSAT inference 6th sense, or at least familiarity with the types of inferences the LG sections frequently test.

LG questions and sections are intentionally written to be more items than normal human brains can process sequentially and test via brute force in 35 minutes. Rather, the intent of each question is to test higher and higher level inferences as the game progresses. Especially true in global MBF/CBT questions. They can be a huge time sink if you haven't realized the inference, but will fall away quickly if the inference is clear. Typically the clue is in the pattern of the answer choices.

Also:
    Attack MBT answer choices targeting only determinate elements.
    Attack CBT answer choices targeting only indeterminate items elements.

DM for specific examples or sections if you have questions.

• 0hbergine0hbergine Member
    60 karma

I'm in a similar situation. My diagnostic was okay with a bombed LG section. Average around -2 for both RC and LR with minimal studying. But averaging -5 to -10 on LGs.

However, there's hope! Recently, I got -3 and -4 on LGs. I think the foolproof method is a great way to improve. It allows you to easily identify the best setups for a given game and when you need to split gameboards. If games are set up properly, the questions go more quickly.

You write,

Question explanations aren't very helpful because, given enough time, I can get the correct answer to basically any LG question--the issue is just timing.

Instead of viewing the question explanations as telling you the right answer, it is better to view them as explaining the most efficient setups and inferences you can make to get to those answers. Knowing this will make you faster.

• NNNNJJJJNNNNJJJJ Alum Member
    54 karma

Attack MBT answer choices targeting only determinate elements.
    Attack CBT answer choices targeting only indeterminate items elements.

@"5Fennel LSAT" could you please clarify what you mean by "determinate" and "indeterminate"?

• 0hbergine0hbergine Member
    60 karma

Update: I recently got my first -0 on LG and am consistently doing better! Foolproofing really works!