Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scoring 10+ points lower in actual tests twice...any advice?

hzyxfjhzyxfj Free Trial Member
edited June 2022 in General 12 karma

Before the January LSAT, I was PT-ing around 168-172, but I only got a 157 in the January LSAT. I thought of the possible reasons like being nervous, screwing up two games, not simulating the test environment, etc. etc. Before the June test, I addressed all these things except for the being nervous part. I was pretty confident before the test cuz I PT-ed 175+ (if I didn't screw up the tough game that may or may not come up). In the June test I felt I screwed up the last circular game, but I expected it not to be that bad cuz it costed only 3 points max. Nevertheless, I only got a 160 this time... only 5 points above my first diagonisis test...

I feel so demoralized and confused now... I don't know what to do...Since I'm an international student, October would be my last shot... I think feeling nervous was a big part in the test cuz I felt my pace of taking the real test was a lot different from that of taking practice tests. I don't know how to deal with it, or is there anything else I ignored that contributed to such a huge difference?

Comments

• georgianablythe16georgianablythe16 Alum Member
    edited July 2022 142 karma

I'm not an expert but I believe mindset does play a huge role on test day. What do you do before you take a test? Are you getting lots of sleep the week of? Are you eating a good breakfast, relaxing, etc.? Or are you spending the morning of in full stress mode, counting down the minutes until testing time?

Also, taking a break from studying and prep was hugely helpful for me. June was my first ever take and I did nothing LSAT related for a full two weeks before the test. I ended up scoring my highest PT score and I'm glad I took the time to recoup and let my brain rest before going in.

I know you must feel completely demoralized and I'm so sorry! This test is so so difficult and stressful, but with your PT scores (especially if you're simulating test day during PT's) I think you can absolutely get closer to your PT range. Rooting for you come October!

• hzyxfjhzyxfj Free Trial Member
    12 karma

@georgianablythe16 said:
    I'm not an expert but I believe mindset does play a huge role on test day. What do you do before you take a test? Are you getting lots of sleep the week of? Are you eating a good breakfast, relaxing, etc.? Or are you spending the morning of in full stress mode, counting down the minutes until testing time?

Also, taking a break from studying and prep was hugely helpful for me. June was my first ever take and I did nothing LSAT related for a full two weeks before the test. I ended up scoring my highest PT score and I'm glad I took the time to recoup and let my brain rest before going in.

I know you must feel completely demoralized and I'm so sorry! This test is so so difficult and stressful, but with your PT scores (especially if your simulating test day during PT's) I think you can absolutely get closer to your PT range. Rooting for you come October!

Thanks buddy! These are really good points for me to think about. Could you share how your real test score is compared to those of your PTs? Just a difference would be enough. I guess I'm gonna take a break now lol

• georgianablythe16georgianablythe16 Alum Member
    142 karma

I scored 2 points above my average PT but the score I got I had originally scored on a single PT. Ultimately I scored 10 points above my diagnostic (which I took in 2018/19 - it's been a long journey! And it's still not over.) Really encourage taking breaks. Do something you love, relax, try not to think about the LSAT or law school for a few weeks. It's been a huge help and relief for me and it really has motivated me to get back into studying.