Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Different Flaw Types

Serena13Serena13 Core Member

What are some of the ways you learned to study the different flaw types? I've been trying flashcards but I'm not retaining any of it. Any advice?

Comments

• RaphaelPRaphaelP Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1110 karma

A few thoughts -

1) Learning flaws is less an exercise in rote memorization but more about knowing how to apply them. No LSAT question will say "List 5 flaws" but will ask you to recognize it when it's there. So, as a result, I'd focus your studying less on memorization but application.

2) Relatedly, you should be memorizing with EXAMPLES. If you want to remember ad hom, don't just remember what it means but look at a real-life LSAT example.

Perhaps you use two resources here. The first is a Quizlet where you list the type of flaw on one side and the definition on the other (plus a short example). It seems you've been doing that. The second then is a Word document with a bunch of LSAT stimuli - you need to recognize what flaw is present.

3) A useful skill is to find flaws when they're NOT just the cookie-cutter classic flaws (i.e., it's not just reading an argument and seeing an ad hom). You should also train yourself to break down the argument into assumptions and criticize assumptions, which is what a solid chunk of flaw (and strengthen/weaken) questions will ask you to do. This can save you if you're missing the classic flaw.

• Serena13Serena13 Core Member
    128 karma

Thank you so much for your in-depth reply. I will give this a try.