Pen + Pencil Combo for Logic Games

davisgh26davisgh26 Member
edited July 2022 in General 9 karma

With new (-ish) test day rules for the LSAT:

Items Allowed in Your Testing Space
Generally, your desktop must be clear of anything not test-related and should only have:

Five blank sheets of scratch paper (lined, unlined, or graphed)
One or more writing utensils (standard pencil, mechanical pencil, or ink pen, for example)
A highlighter
An eraser (no mechanical erasers or erasers with sleeves)

Couldn't we theoretically make a Logic Game Board in pen and write any question modifiers in pencil? You could then just erase the pencil, leaving an un-tainted master board while saving time with re-drawing and avoiding copying errors?

Any thoughts on the effectiveness or allowance of this method?

Comments

• maco4538maco4538 Alum Member
    edited July 2022 323 karma

I only like this method when there is a grid set up for grouping, since the set up for those board games can be time consuming. I usually just automatically draw up 2 sets of game boards for grid games since they usually give you 1-2 worlds off the rip, so draw those game boards + permanent rules in pen and use your pencil/eraser for circumstantial questions.

You can use it for sequencing too, the only contingency is that you write down every solution you find. You'll want to reference solutions from previous questions to quickly answer universal MBT/CBT and MBF/CBF.

Otherwise, the pen/pencil combo method is super handy with building a universal game board set up and using that for questions formatted like "If ____, then what MBT?"

• coldbrewithoatcoldbrewithoat Core Member
    111 karma

I would write your master game board + rules in pen and then switch to pencil. The main issue with writing and erasing in pencil on your master game board is that you will end up erasing valid scenarios that may be useful if you get a global (must be true/cannot be true/etc.) question. Having a bunch of valid scenarios as a reference will speed up your response time and prevent you from brute-forcing all the answer choices.

The one exception, in my opinion, would be the last question in the game. At that point, you could perhaps save 10-15 seconds by writing on the master board instead of copying the board. Hope this helps!