Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comperhension

Hi everyone, does any one have advice or strategy they did to do better on the Reading Comprehension? ( I study on my weakness , but for some reason I still do bad on RC section)

Comments

• ovidovid Member
    89 karma

Focus on slowing down and getting a good grasp of the fundamentals. RC is all about your ability to parse the passages for structure and argumentation/viewpoints, not about minor details or buzzwords. The questions also aren't that important. If you read the passage carefully, and really understand what it is saying, then the questions are easy.

• lucasjameszieglerlucasjamesziegler Core Member
    380 karma

Agree with what @ovid stated. I had to really train myself how to read differently. Still a work in progress but focusing on structure works very well.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I don’t think structure is actually that important, but slowing down and understanding the passage is almost always spot on advice. The section is literally called Reading Comprehension. If you don’t comprehend the reading, there’s just no work around for that. Understanding the passage is absolutely prerequisite to any reasonable expectation of performing well in the questions.

In general, I disagree with characterizing the questions as easy though. Even with strong comprehension of the passage, there’s a lot going on in the Q&A’s which can still be quite challenging. It can be studied and learned, and that makes those challenges easier to process, but it doesn’t come naturally to most of us. If they do seem easy, great: There’s no reason to overcomplicate things. But if they don’t, that’s fine too. You’re in good company.

• jer_3596jer_3596 Alum Member
    34 karma

Play around with the settings as well. I tend to do better when I had large font and medium line height when i'm reading the passage. Then I would switch to small line height and small font when doing the questions. This allowed me to quickly eliminate obvious wrong answers because I could see all the answers at once. I think i'm hovering around 9:30-10 min a passage (some of the easier ones are around 8:30). Which I started around 13 or so minutes. Though I'm not 100% on the more difficult passages, but it is a work in progress. I still need to actually play around with the settings in lawhub as well to see what works best since that is where we take our test.