PT2.S4.Q12 - "Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal right to see..."

hyelimparkhyelimpark Core Member
edited August 2022 in Logical Reasoning 42 karma

Hi! Can someone help me with this question? I understand the stimulus but I am super confused by the question stem 'which one of the following, if true, establishes that the doctor's second reason oes noot cancel out the first?'
Could someone also explain why A is correct?
Thanks so much!

Comments

• Claudia77Claudia77 Member
    106 karma

The doctor gives two seemingly contradictory reasons for why patients shouldn't have a legal right to access their medical records: 1) medical staff will have to waste time retrieving the records, and 2) patients won't even ask for the records anyway.
    If no patient is asking for their records, how is it that medical staff will have to spend lots of time retrieving the records? This is what the question stem is asking you to resolve.

Answer choice A states that the new law would require that during every doctor's visit, doctors must to be prepared to show a patient their medical records at a moment's notice (the doctor can't just be ready to retrieve the records - they would have to have retrieved them already and be prepared to show the patient if asked to).
    If true, this answer choice allows both of the doctor's statements to be true at the same time: even if no patient ever asked to see their records, medical staff would still have to spend lots of time retrieving them.

• hyelimparkhyelimpark Core Member
    42 karma

I see it now-you are so helpful, thank you so much!!!