Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the best major for non native English speakers?

BerserkeleyBerserkeley Alum Member
edited August 2022 in Off-topic 56 karma

Hey,
I was just wondering if there was any specific major that you would recommend to non-native English speakers?

What major?
  1. What major for ESL speakers who want to pursue a law degree33 votes
    1. Philosophy -
      30.30%
    2. English
      12.12%
    3. Sociology
        0.00%
    4. GO STEM
        6.06%
    5. Your major doesnt matter
      51.52%

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

Don't choose a major solely because you think it'll boost your odds in admissions. Law schools care far more about your GPA and LSAT score than what your major was. Choose a major you want to pursue and that you think you can do well in.

• PlsnologicPlsnologic Member
    113 karma

I’m an ESL and I did my undergrad in philosophy, loved it.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Pick what’s interesting to you. No major is going to give you a huge edge on the LSAT, and even if it would, I think that would not be a great basis for picking your major.

That said, I studied English literature. I liked it. I was really interested in it. I was good at it. My interest in it helped me to dig deep. Going deep helped me hone my analytical and critical thinking skills. That’s what you should be looking for in a major, I think. Study what you’re interested in. Attach to something you can work on with passion. That’s how you pick a major. And whatever that is for you will be your best major for the LSAT.

And while you’re filling out your electives, take advantage of some English classes. Not English literature, but actual English language. Grammar and syntax and diagramming sentences and that kind of thing. A logic 101 class can also be useful!