Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling discouraged

Yesterday I took the real thing and it was rough. I only started studying at the end of July, so I know I need much more practice, but I am just really discouraged because I want to apply for fall 2023 and I am afraid my lsat score won’t be enough to go where I want. I could apply next year, but I don’t want to wait two whole years to attend law school. I am going to retake in November, but that’s still not much time. Not sure if this is the right path for me

Comments

• I would keep studying, see how you're PTing close to the November exam. If you still don't feel ready, don't take it. Ask yourself: If this is the right path for me, will one year make that much of a difference in the scope of my career? It really won't. I'm almost 30 and on the same path. It might, however, give you further time to reflect on why you might be having those doubts. Is it really just because the timing isn't lining up the way you might like and you need to get some anxiety out, or is there something deeper there? If the former, look at the bigger picture and you'll see a year isn't much time at all. AND it could give you a ton of time to fully prep and feel like you did the best you possibly can.

• u______uu______u Alum Member
    edited September 2022 233 karma

What I've heard from others is that if you can afford to, spending more time preparing for the LSAT to achieve a higher score will more than offset the inevitable delay you're going to face. And the more common advice I've heard is to take the test when you're ready instead of setting a deadline for yourself. Of course, the second piece of advice also assumes that you can afford to spend more time studying. But what @MurphyBrown2ElleWoods said above is the most important; everything depends on your goals.

• Alyssa TAlyssa T Alum Member
    9 karma

Thank you both so much for your advice! It’s really helpful and I appreciate it

• whyisiglikethiswhyisiglikethis Free Trial Member
    14 karma

I'm in the same boat. Very scared about my score haha. Good luck! I'm trying not to stress until there's something to stress about :))

• HamurabiHamurabi Alum Member
    71 karma

I also agree that setting deadlines/goals alone are not good enough. I too am hoping to go to law school sooner than later (my goal is 2024). However, my current diagnostic is very low (139). I am planning to to take the LSAT next summer and I have given myself a year to study for it. That's my deadline and goal. But even so, I have accepted the fact that I might not able to reach my goal score of 170+ by next summer. So I have completely come to accept that I might need to work for another year and spend one more year studying. I reached this understanding after hearing so many high-scoring 7Sagers go through that experience. I know you might have circumstances and can't afford to wait longer but if there is any way that it is a possibility, you should definitely go for it. It will take off the pressure a lot. LSAT is enjoyable and if you are not stressing about your score/timeline, you might even find it easier to improve and get to your goal.

• Alyssa TAlyssa T Alum Member
    edited September 2022 9 karma

@whyisiglikethis that’s a great mindset! good luck :) and @MohammedShwani-1 good luck to you! thank you for the advice

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

Hope you're feeling better! As someone who's been studying for a while, it can be a little disappointing at times. I suggest finding some study buddies to help keep you motivated.