LOR Question - How old can they be?

Hi there,

I was working until November 2019 in a law firm and got one of my bosses to write me a letter of recommendation back then. She sent the letter directly to LSAC and it is uploaded on to my account.

I had planned to study for the LSAT sooner, but I was in an accident and spent most of 2020 and 2021 in physical therapy. I started studying this year as I do some part time consultancy work alongside. I got one of my professors to write me a LOR last month.

I wanted to know if the LOR from 2019 would need to be updated again when I apply (Which I think most likely would be this cycle or the next depending on when I can manage a good LSAT score). Both the LORs are already uploaded on to my CAS account.

I was in physical therapy and did not work for 2020-2021. I would think that it'd make sense for the first LOR to be dated 2019, right when I quit my job; as also because the bosses would have a better picture of what I was working on back then and the feedback given by clients would be relevant as of that date?

The letter is already uploaded on to CAS, so it would also be a pain to ask my boss to update and resend the letter to LSAC - Although I am on good terms with her but wouldn't want to ask for a favour unless absolutely necessary.

Most grateful if someone could confirm this for me. Thank you!

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. The admissions committee is reviewing your application to learn about who you are as a candidate TODAY. So that your application materials are consistent and persuasive in expressing your narrative, it would be more compelling if ALL your materials were current. If you are applying this cycle (2022-23), your file might be reviewed towards the end of 2022, early 2023 even. From an admissions perspective, a letter dated 2019 could be perceived as "stale" and less useful during the review process. At the very least, I would encourage you to get new letters with a new date, even if the content of the letters is the same. Good luck!

• RelentlessRelentless Core Member
    323 karma

Thank you - This is very helpful.

• DeeGeeKayDeeGeeKay Core Member
    12 karma

Hi, I am in the same situation. I agree with the first comment. My letters are uploaded from 2019. I was told by an admissions officer to update the date even if content is the same. He did not suggest it, he told me "update your letters, it has the a 2019 date" Good luck!