Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request for Letter of Recommendation Email Template

I've put off asking for a lor for so long, because it completely stresses me out. I know it's in their job description, but I feel like my relationships with profs are too weak. I need to hurry up because I'm taking the October test... Would anyone be willing to share how they asked their professors for a letter of rec and what exactly to include in the email? It's been a couple of months since graduation and I went to a large school, so I'm not sure how to address that as well.

Comments

• Sailor Moon LSATSailor Moon LSAT Member
    200 karma

I have been out of undergrad for 10 years, and have more or less kept in touch with the two professors I've asked (they have written my recommendation letters for other things throughout the years, but even the most recent of those was 4/5 years ago). I admittedly had close relationships with my professors, but I still wanted to give them as much time as possible to write the letter. I would ask ASAP. I sent this late summer/early summer. Obviously this would be different now if I were writing it since I have finished my personal statement, but you get the idea. Hopefully this helps - the sooner you ask, the better! That way if a professor says no, you have time to figure out a back up plan.

Subject: Recommendation Letter for Law School

Hi [name], (admittedly you could say professor xyz)
    I hope you’re doing well and enjoying summer. As you can tell from the subject, I’m in the process of applying to law school this fall and I was hoping that you would be available to write me a letter of recommendation. I will probably not submit my applications until mid to late October, so I figured I would I ask now to give you enough time.

If you have the time and are willing to write me a recommendation letter, I can send you a copy of my résumé along with some points I was hoping you could address in the recommendation letter. I’m not done writing my personal statement, but I can also explain why I am applying to law school or share any other information that you feel would be helpful, either over email or the phone if that is easier.

Thank you so much,
    [name]

• oluwabukolaoluwabukola Member
    31 karma

@"Sailor Moon LSAT" Thank you so much! This helps so much, I really appreciate it!