Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I normally go -6 or -5 RC, but did PT 80's RC and got -11

Determined_-1Determined_-1 Member
in General 919 karma

Idk if I'm burning out but I was making big improvements in RC and now I just feel so confused. Any tips appreciated

Comments

• ghawk1-1-1ghawk1-1-1 Member
    9 karma

The newer PT's are notoriously difficult for RC. LSAT started transitioning away from harder LG and easier RC to harder RC and easier LG. I would recommend possibly drilling in PT's closer to that section or even reading sections of books that are more difficult to prep yourself for the exam.

• arlenexzyarlenexzy Member
    25 karma

This is so true. PT80s RC usually have two traits: (1) more perplexing structures (harder to see how one para. or sentence relates to another); (2) more nuanced wording (definitely killer in inference questions).

• Determined_-1Determined_-1 Member
    919 karma

@ghawk1-1-1 @arlenexzy thank you both so much I legit almost cried lol. I know its just a test but it had me fudged up! do you have any advice for how to approach reviewing this and making improvements for the next one? would really appreciate it!

• Determined_-1Determined_-1 Member
    919 karma

@"Cant Get Right" you always know what to say!! any tips?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

@"Determined_-1" said:
    @"Cant Get Right" you always know what to say!! any tips?

Happy to pitch in!

First, -11 is definitely a big underperformance, but not so far out of range of -5/-6 that it’s totally unexpected. You bottomed out, but it’s within your range.

Beyond that, the information you’ve provided tells me you are overly focused on your outcomes. Of course, our scores are important to us and that’s okay. But you’ve only said what your score was without providing any information on what actually happened. That’s the wrong emphasis. What did you do? How was your pacing? Where did you fall short and what could you have done differently? Specifically, what happened? These are the sorts of things you should care about. Not your score. With this information, I could tell you how to improve without knowing the score. With just the score, I couldn’t even hazard a guess.

You can’t directly touch your score, not really. But you can maintain discipline during a tough paragraph. You can process answer choices with procedural precision. You can avoid bogging down by moving on when you reach the point of decision on a particularly hard question.

All the score tells us is that we’re not where we want to be. That’s important information, but it doesn’t tell us anything about how to actually improve. So the first thing I’d recommend is to adjust your priorities. Focus on your inputs, not your outcomes.