Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running thread of how to conquer RC: 1 tip per post/Bold your tip at the very top

in General 284 karma

Curious to see the best RC tips out there!
Bold your tip at the very top.
Also, let’s shoot for short explanations!

Stick to one tip per post, if you have multiple tips, create multiple posts!

Comments

• edited September 2022 284 karma

Get Good @ Grammar

Do not assume that you have a fundamental understanding of grammar! For me, I came to realize: my inability to consistently parse out convoluted language came from a lack of understanding of some basic grammatical concepts.

• edited September 2022 284 karma

Be patient

This is the hardest truth of RC improvement. It requires an immense amount of patience relative to the time it takes to improve on the other two sections.

• 284 karma

Ask yourself: Are you a good reader?

Business 101: To solve a problem, you must first identify the problem. Once I realized that I am not the strongest reader is when the improvements started to flood in. I started to look at reading as a skill that takes practice. I have made a tremendous amount of improvement in my reading ability since my revelation, which has led to improvement in RC. But I still have much room for improvement!

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

Focus on the Big picture

I used to get bogged down trying to memorize every single detail and lost sight of the main point and the purpose of the passage.

• yeetyyasyeetyyas Core Member
    9 karma

Focus on the Why

Think about how what the author is saying contributes to the overall purpose of the passage. I try to reflect on this after every paragraph or so.