Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any advice on Flaw Questions?

gurpreetk35gurpreetk35 Alum Member
in General 196 karma

Been getting flaw questions wrong repeatedly, any advice?

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

When you miss a flaw question, really take time to analyze the flaw. Though flaw questions have been less formulaic in recent years, you still see routine flaws come up. Also, you’ll often see similar flaws across tests, even if they’re not identical. I’ve found that when I analyze flaw questions deeply, it makes me much more likely to recognize similar flaws later. For instance, when I was first introduced to circular reasoning, it went right over my head. After taking time to break it down, I haven’t missed another.

• u______uu______u Alum Member
    233 karma

First of all make sure to know the common flaws and the various ways the test can present them to you. For me specifically, what really helped was to learn how to step away from the details of the argument to see what the various elements at play are doing. It's very easy to get lost in the details of an argument, especially when it is very complex. However, the core elements remain the same. Therefore, identifying the various elements and the overall structure of the argument can be quite helpful.