Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Application Question

Hi everyone. I am a white female currently applying for law schools. I would like to put "decline to answer" on the race section of the application, because I think it's unfair that schools even ask that and is unnecessary. I believe it is, unfortunately, second nature to be prejudicial when you have this information. So, my question is: is this a bad idea? Will it look worse on me if they do find out my race later on? Will this cause me more harm? Any insight would be great, thank you.

Question
  1. Do I check decline to answer12 votes
    1. Yes
        8.33%
    2. No
      91.67%

Comments

• claremontclaremont Core Member
    edited October 2022 590 karma

I don't think it will harm you, however by declining to answer they'll probably just make the assumption that you're white.

• baparacha-1baparacha-1 Member
    edited November 2022 113 karma

As a person who is of a racial minority if I was the admissions person it would seem that you choosing to not answer means you are trying to hide that you are from a privileged background, and will probably just confirm you were white even if you don’t say it. Which would make me think your a privilege white individual even if that is not true. However, if you do answer it I think with how fast they read over the application they won’t pay too much attention to it, adding to the point that not answering will bring attention to that portion of the application.

• Holly GolightlyHolly Golightly Core Member
    edited November 2022 77 karma

it’s for affirmative action policies. schools are legally required to submit data on racial and gender diversity to the federal government. do you feel similarly about not reporting your gender?

most schools are majority white, so i don’t see how you might see this as an unfair policy. besides, i feel like the rest of your application would let the committee know who you are, which includes identifying factors like your race.