PT93.S2.Q19 - No new course will be approved for next year’s schedule

scarrzamm-1-1-1-1-1scarrzamm-1-1-1-1-1 Core Member
edited November 2022 in Logical Reasoning 5 karma

Was anyone else completely stumped on how to even go about this question? I’d love to be able to discuss it._

Comments

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

Sure-- I loved this question because it reminded me exactly of a logic game mini puzzle:

There are two possibilities for a new course to get approved-- either by the Dean or the committee. There is more information about each group: the Dean got only one proposal; the committee only received upper-level course proposals. The last piece of information/ "rule" we are given, is that all upper level courses next year will have pre-requisites.

Now that we have all our rules, lets see how things work with each other (just like in LG)-- first, we know that if any of the course proposals from the committee are approved for next year, then they must have pre-reqs. (just linking up the upper level conditions). What about the Dean? We don't know anything about that course proposal, except for the number she has-- only one course proposal-- that means max amount possible of new courses next year that cannot have pre-reqs is one.

Just keeping in mind that the last conditional applies for any course next year that is upper level (both new and old courses), we get to AC C-- that if there is more than one new course next year (that must mean it was approved by either of the two groups) then at least one of them HAS to have pre-requisites. Why? because of the constrained number of possibilities we were given of possible courses that don't have to have pre-requisites-- which is ONLY the Dean group.

Hope this helps-- When I did this question I just made sure that the two groups were separate (Dean and Committee)-- definitely map it out though-- it will really help clarify things; just like a logic game, notice your constrained possibilities.

• Theo - Student ServiceTheo - Student Service Member Moderator Student Services
    edited November 2022 858 karma

Admin Note: I am adding the post of @MindtheGAAP28 below, which is also about PT93.S2.Q19:

Missed this question and thought I'd post in case this helps anyone else.

Stimulus:

New course approved next year -> Committee received OR Dean Wilson received

Dean Wilson received 1 course proposal

Committee received -> Upper-level courses

Upper-level courses -> Pre-requisites.

Answer Choices:

A) We don't know that there won't be any new courses next year that have pre-reqs. What if the course Dean Wilson received has pre-reqs and is not an upper-level course. We know that Upper-level courses have pre-reqs. and don't know if other courses have pre-reqs.

B.) We don't know anything about the approvals and how many have been approved. We have no idea whether or not the proposals received will be approved. We just know IF they're approved, the committee or the Dean will have reviewed them.

C) Yes, if there is more than 1, for example 2 courses then at least one will have pre-reqs. because we know the Dean only received one, so the other must be received by the committee. And we know the committee only received Upper-level courses which must have pre-reqs. So we know at least one will have pre-reqs because the committee will have received it.

D) All courses offered next year will have pre-reqs.. Not supported, we only know about new-courses approved next year and that are upper-level..

E) Similar to B, we don't know whether or not they will approve the courses or not...

Reason I missed this question:
    I misread the stimulus and thought the first sentence said New course approved next year -> Committee received AND Dean Wilson received. Skipped this and came back and did not catch my reading mistake. When coming back to skipped questions, need to read the stimulus carefully for each and every word... Can't assume my first read was correct.