PTF97.S1.Q25 - it takes less energy to make molten glass - help me!

httborahttbora Alum Member
edited November 2022 in Logical Reasoning 17 karma

Hi, this is a necessary assumption question.

The conclusion is "by using recycled glasses instead of glass made from raw materials, bottlers can lower their costs and benefit the environment at the same time."

The answer is D. "purchasing and transport costs are not so much greater for recycled glass than for raw materials that they outweigh the savings in energy costs resulting from the use of recycled glass."

I cannot understand why the answer is D.. and also I cannot get the meaning of D. The savings in energy costs are outweighed by...
please, help me!

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question"

Comments

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

This is a classic NA correct AC-- this is blocking alternative explanations that could perhaps ruin the argument. The conclusion is that using recycling glass will do two things-- one, lower costs and two, benefit the environment. What AC D is saying is that it blocks the possibility that outside factors/costs might greatly outweigh the potential benefits-- i.e. transportation costs, etc.

This MUST be true for the argument to stand. If the costs were significantly greater, then the benefits discussed would be irrelevant, because, they wouldn't actually be beneficial, due to the external costs.

Hope this helps!

• httborahttbora Alum Member
    17 karma

Thanks for leaving the message.
    One more question..
    Can you help me to understand this sentence, which is "purchasing and transport costs are not so much greater for recycled glass than for raw materials that they outweigh the savings in energy costs resulting from the use of recycled glass" Here, what the they indicate? I think purchasing and transport costs.
    Please, reply to me!

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

Yep! Great job :smile: that's exactly it! The purchasing and transport costs can't outweigh the savings in energy cost resulting from the use of recycled glass

• httborahttbora Alum Member
    17 karma

I got it!! thanks a lot! Have a great day!