Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toughest weakening questions

I'm getting most if not all of these wrong. Can anyone suggest strategies on what I can do to improve?

Comments

• 14 karma

Weaken questions have always been a category I struggle with. I think the most basic advice I can give is to look for ways to argue with the stimulus. In my head, as I am reading the stimulus for weaken questions, I try to think about what I would say if I were to argue with the author. Also remember that you're trying to disprove the conclusion using the premises (finding a flaw in the premises' reasoning/relationship), so be sure to know what the conclusion of the stimulus is. Hope this helps!

• 14 karma

Also drill, drill, drill! And thoroughly review each question after (whether you got it right or wrong). Validate yourself on the correct answers, and work to understand what you missed in the stimulus on the ones you get wrong. It's all about training your mind to notice where the argument is lacking.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2245 karma

With the tougher ones, I often focus on eliminating ACs. If you're positive an answer choice doesn't affect the argument or strengthens it, you've got to get confident eliminating it. Sometimes, it hinges on a single word, which can make it intimidating to eliminate, but you've got to be willing to do it. Often, once I've eliminated two or three wrong answers and I can focus on the true contenders, I'm able to figure out which AC actually weakens the argument. Particularly with the tougher weakening questions, the correct answer might just barely weaken the argument. That's a large part of the difficulty. Having less ACs to compare against helps a ton.