Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I write an LSAT addendum?

joshuazyt11joshuazyt11 Alum Member
edited November 2022 in Law School Admissions 78 karma

Hey all,

I would appreciate some insights into my situation. This might sound a bit crazy, but I've taken the LSAT seven times over a four-year period (2 takes before testing limits were placed). I was a reckless college kid and was really just taking the test for the heck of it for the first few times. As a result, I got three cancels on my record and improved by almost 30 pts from the first take. But my performance was stable in the last three takes (within 10 pts). So should I write an addendum to provide a narrative? I'm an ESL student, and it has been a struggle and I might be a bit obsessive. But I really don't want AOs to think I'm pathological with this test.

Comments

• cat_personcat_person Member
    70 karma

I probably would. When I spoke with my undergrad career center about addendums, they suggested there is no harm in writing one. They don't need to be long/an essay, but they can provide schools with helpful context.

• cat_personcat_person Member
    70 karma

And for context, my undergrad houses a T14 law school. They instructed me to include an addendum between 2-4 sentences.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. I would strongly encourage you to write an LSAT addendum explaining your LSAT history and providing context for the number of attempts. Keep it concise and factual. Don't feel the need to explain how you prepared and studied for each exam. Good luck!

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

100% yes write an addendum and explain this

• joshuazyt11joshuazyt11 Alum Member
    78 karma

@so_j_so_j said:
    And for context, my undergrad houses a T14 law school. They instructed me to include an addendum between 2-4 sentences.

Thanks, that's helpful!

• joshuazyt11joshuazyt11 Alum Member
    78 karma

@"Selene Steelman" said:
    Former admissions officer here. I would strongly encourage you to write an LSAT addendum explaining your LSAT history and providing context for the number of attempts. Keep it concise and factual. Don't feel the need to explain how you prepared and studied for each exam. Good luck!

Would a double-spaced half-pager suffice? Always love to hear about insights from professionals!

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Hi @joshuazyt11. Yes, I would try to keep it to half a page. An addendum is not the place to try to show your creative writing skills. Good luck!