Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Write a GPA/LSAT Addendum?

I graduated with a decent GPA, a 3.8. I even received honors, Magna Cum Laude, but my freshman year I was a STEM major that I was pressured into and did not enjoy. That year I got about a 3.2 GPA, but I changed my major sophomore year and got a 4.0 every semester after. On top of that, I am from an extremely rural town (2,000 people, 2 hrs away from every major city, no stoplights lol) where I didn't have the best college preparation. I think that also factored into my low freshman year GPA. Since I graduated with a good GPA, and my transcript shows a change in major, I am wondering if I should write an addendum for that year of school? Or is it unnecessary because my grades increased significantly and the transcript kind of tells the story itself?

On top of that I have taken the LSAT 3 times. However the first time was over a year ago, and I essentially didn't study. I scored a 159, which was pretty much my raw score. I took it again in October this year, getting a 165 and again in November, ending with a 167. Do I need to explain the first test? I basically had poor advising on whether or not I should take it (I was a full time student at the time as well). I shouldn't have taken the real test that first time, and the increase from that score to my final score is a bit of a jump, so i'm not sure if that warrants an explanation.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ema0722-1ema0722-1 Core Member
    11 karma

From what I understand, an addendum is beneficial if you can display a circumstance that properly explains your adverse situation. I know that law schools enjoy seeing progress in your grades, and seeing that you went from 3.2 to 3.8 is absolutely better than the inverse. The transcript, as you sort of mentioned in your question, will answer that question. Plus, they will see your major had changed as it will reflect in course load. I am not sure how they would take an explanation of being in a rural town with no stoplights into consideration. I feel it would be more provoking to the committee if you perhaps grew up in extreme poverty, or went through an equivalent adverse situation. Plus, you had showed in your improvement of gpa that you did overcome that adversity.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. I think the GPA addendum is not necessary. An LSAT addendum would be appropriate given the jump in score from 159-165. I would keep it concise and factual. Good luck!