Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

-8 on logical reasoning consistently

sophiacastrosophiacastro Alum Member

I have been studying logical reasoning for quite some time now and consistently get -8 wrong. I have been drilling daily and reviewing the questions and making sure they make sense to me. I planned to take the January test but now I'm feeling very discouraged. I don't think I can get a great score with this. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve on this section?

Comments

• WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
    810 karma

If you feel you have the fundamentals down, then I would go back and figure out what type of questions you get wrong. Not estimate, but literally go back to all your wrong questions and separate them into categories and add up how many wrong for each type. Go back and watch some videos and drill them out.

If you don't think you have the fundamentals down, I would recommend loophole by Ellen Cassidy. There are 13 chapters, if you do 1 a day, you'll still have 3 full weeks before January to use what you learn in that book with drills and timed sections.

• Crystal00Crystal00 Alum Member
    123 karma

If you haven't already, I recommend reading the Loophole by Ellen Cassidy! I read that after doing the core curriculum with 7Sage and that really helped me look at LR from a different perspective.

• sh.francissh.francis Core Member
    edited December 2022 246 karma

@lsatjanuary how have you structured your drilling practice?

For LR specifically, I think how you drill is as important to progress as just churning out questions.

I was stuck in a plateau until I experimented with different drilling formats and found something that worked for me. I'm still constantly switching it up depending on what I'm working on.

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

Hi there, I see this all the time in tutoring. If you're going -8 on what I assume are timed sections, it's likely that there is a lot of room for improvement with (1) your approach to each question; and (2) your skipping strategy.

Much like others have said above with Ellen Cassidy's book, a lot of gains can be had once you improve the way you read and break down stimuli. Next having a consistent LR-question-type-strategy takes away the anxiety of wondering what you're supposed to be doing each time you see a question, and further, determining when to move on if you're not making any gains.

So what does that mean for you now leading up to January? Start by examining your LR approach--do you have these strategies in place? If not, I wouldn't continue just churning out questions because you are unlikely to see improvement from brute forcing questions. Hope this helps!

• ConstantineConstantine Member
    1320 karma

The fastest cure would be a simple one. Take a section of LR and deep review it. It would take 2-3 days. But if you do proper analysis of the arguments you will get -2 or better and that's where your success with LR is going to be unavoidable.