Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preparing for Jan LSAT

So I registered for the Jan LSAT, expecting to get more info on exactly how the test was administered, what devices are compatible, what I need to bring etc. So can someone explain the dynamics of how you actually take the exam? I have an new 2021 Ipad with keyboard and want to make sure that’s compatible with taking the test.
Are there restrictions on where I can take the test? I dont have a place to take it at home so I’m looking into the best places for taking it that also satisfy all LSAC requirements (aka renting private study room in Library).
What am I allowed to bring with me? Ive been doing all my PTs with a blank piece of paper to write notes or draw diagrams but if im taking it online am I allowed to do that?

LSS: how do I make sure I’m fully prepared for the exam and dont have anything surprise me on exam day. Any suggestions/rules are appreciated!

Comments

• gooilers97gooilers97 Core Member
    13 karma

Go to the LSAC website and they have all this information.

• melsathopemelsathope Core Member
    edited December 2022 112 karma

I will answer your questions but please also go to the link above.

• I have an new 2021 Ipad with keyboard and want to make sure that’s compatible with taking the test.
      NO. You CANNOT take the LSAT in a tablet, period. I also have an iPad Pro with apple keyboard and you CANNOT take the test in a tablet, again, perioddddt. You need to take the test in either a desktop (like an iMac) or a laptop (like a MacBook). You also need to be the administrator of the computer. For example, do not take it in a library computer because you are a "guest" and not the admin.
      You need to have chrome or Firefox installed in your desktop or laptop and change your settings according to the lsac page (but don't worry so much about this because the proctor will be able to use your mouse and will change settings before you start the test). Just make sure you have most of it done.

• Are there restrictions on where I can take the test? I dont have a place to take it at home so I’m looking into the best places for taking it that also satisfy all LSAC requirements (aka renting private study room in Library).
      You cannot take it in a place where people are coming in and out and I would not risk taking it in a place where people talk. Even in a library, people will be talking, someone can knock the door, and I honestly would not add that factor to me being nervous for the test already. You should take it in your room at home. Ask your roommates/family members to leave the house for 3-4 hours during the day, take it in your room. trust me.

• What am I allowed to bring with me? Ive been doing all my PTs with a blank piece of paper to write notes or draw diagrams but if im taking it online am I allowed to do that?
      You are allowed to have 5 sheets of paper with you (lined, graph, blank, doesn't matter as long as there isn't stuff written in it, you will need to show your paper to your proctor). You can bring mechanical pencil or pen, eraser without sleeve, and a liquid in a clear bottle or glass (I had coconut water with me and removed the label from the bottle, it was a transparent bottle), and you can also have tissues. Also don't forget an ID that matches your name in your LSAC account! Student ID does NOT count.

• ellemkayellemkay Core Member
    36 karma

@melsathope said:

• What am I allowed to bring with me? Ive been doing all my PTs with a blank piece of paper to write notes or draw diagrams but if im taking it online am I allowed to do that?
      You are allowed to have 5 sheets of paper with you (lined, graph, blank, doesn't matter as long as there isn't stuff written in it, you will need to show your paper to your proctor). You can bring mechanical pencil or pen, eraser without sleeve, and a liquid in a clear bottle or glass (I had coconut water with me and removed the label from the bottle, it was a transparent bottle), and you can also have tissues. Also don't forget an ID that matches your name in your LSAC account! Student ID does NOT count.

Hey so stupid question, but as you're writing on the paper for your LG section, do they check your paper periodically, or just leave you be? I mean, they obviously can't see you write on your paper on your desk.

• clauuuu805clauuuu805 Core Member
    9 karma

Hi i actually had this issue i have a similar setup so i was scrambling to find a laptop to borrow from my friends because my laptop was not compatible, its basically a tablet. Because for some reason Protcot U doesnt work on tablets, iPads etc But LSAC can actually let you borrow a device and a give you a place to take the exam if you dont have one. I am not sure of the specifics but I believe its free of charge you just have to apply by Nov 22 @ midnight, so this Thursday! I think its called a request for assistance, check their website, but I got an email about it like a week ago. If you cant find it I would probably call them, they were helpful last time I needed info Hope this helps!

• luffyyyyluffyyyy Live Member
    647 karma

@ellemkay said:

@melsathope said:

Hey so stupid question, but as you're writing on the paper for your LG section, do they check your paper periodically, or just leave you be? I mean, they obviously can't see you write on your paper on your desk.

They leave you be, they won't check your paper during the test. But after you're done your test, your proctor will ask you to destroy your 5 pieces of paper in front of the camera.

• ellemkayellemkay Core Member
    36 karma

@jessica8871 said:

@ellemkay said:

@melsathope said:

They leave you be, they won't check your paper during the test. But after you're done your test, your proctor will ask you to destroy your 5 pieces of paper in front of the camera.

Awesome, thank you for your response! That puts my mind at ease.