Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fill in the Blank Questions Categorization

MoosaderMoosader Alum Member
"Which one of the following most logically completes the passage?"

The Trainer puts these guys with inference questions, which totally makes sense.

The Bible puts these guys with identify the main point, which doesn't make sense at first. But, the question is, does this work? Is it "okay" to think about fill in the blank questions as identify the conclusion instead of inference. I feel like it makes the question seem less daunting and it works. In fact, I think it works better than the Trainer. Whereas a fill in the blank is only concerned with the conclusion, inference questions want anything that must be true in reference to any part of the passage.

Are there any ways this could be troubling that I am not considering?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @mheannarino said:
    The Bible puts these guys with identify the main point, which doesn't make sense at first. But, the question is, does this work?
    *Sigh* more mischief from the Powerscore Bibles ... Sometimes these questions are NOT main point questions; I actually saw one recently that was a logical completion SA question.

I like to refer to these as "logical completion" questions because that allows for the same form to play off of different "asks" in the stimulus. I think basically you're giving the stimulus what it needs or anticipating what it would say. A lot of these are inference (where you're stating the conclusion that is supported/follows from premises), but as I said, they can also be closer to SA (given that there is no reason for the conclusion to be the final sentence in a stimulus).
  • MoosaderMoosader Alum Member
    234 karma
    OMGoodness, just when I thought there was a nugget in here. I'm one chapter away from throwing this book out. Am I safe with Manhattan?