Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to study LR if I don't have consistent weak spots???

gahe1999gahe1999 Alum Member

I am trying to fine tune my LR, and most advice i see is to study the questions types you struggle with, but after looking over my analytics all the LR questions I'm getting wrong are pretty evenly distributed between all question types.

My consistently wrong answers are the ones that are ranked as 4-5 level difficulty. What exactly should I do for that? Just take drill sets of hard questions over and over and over?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

You do have consistent weak spots, you just aren't properly identifying them. Question type isn't very helpful beyond the earliest stages, so you've just got to analyze your errors better to figure out what the actual misunderstanding is. The most critical things don't really conform to any one question type, so that's why we stop seeing our errors correlate to question types relatively quickly. Try to identify things like sets and subsets, convoluted grammar, referential phrasing, comparative statements, binary/opposition confusion, etc. For any question you struggle with, identify what about it makes it hard. For any wrong answer you choose, figure out the mistaken understanding of the stimulus that resulted in that answer appearing correct and find the precise word or phrase which made that understanding incorrect. Then identify exactly what grammatical or logical mechanic involved is at the core of the misunderstanding.

• gahe1999gahe1999 Alum Member
    41 karma

@"Cant Get Right" I appreciate this, thank you!

• aiman.shahabaiman.shahab Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    72 karma

Hey @gahe1999! @"Cant Get Right" gave you some pretty sound advice there. Once you break through the foundations of LSAT, it's important to start noting patterns. Making sure you blind review and keeping a wrong answer journal is incredibly important for that.

To add on to that, does is it a timing issue? Are you getting these level 4-5 questions when you blind review? If yes, it seems like in timed settings, you may be overlooking words in answer choices that make them "trap answers." If that's the case, I would recommend building a drill of level 4-5 questions and time how long it takes you to complete that set. Continue to do drills with the same number of level 4-5 questions, but decrease the amount of time you give yourself to complete it each round from that original recorded time.

If you're not getting these questions correct in blind review, there's still foundational knowledge to be learned. If this is the case, I recommend working through translations of level 4-5 star questions and supplementing them with the core curriculum. For translations, physically write/type out a summary of each sentence in the stimulus in your own words. Identify the conclusion and evidence (premises) that support it and then work on answering the question. When reviewing the answers, record why each answer choice is wrong in your Wrong Answer Journal. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it'll become easier the more you do it, and it eventually becomes easier to translate difficult stimuluses in timed settings.