Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG Help Needed

XanderJohnXanderJohn Core Member

I have been studying LG consistently for the past five months. I finished the entire LG core curriculum, foolproofing every single game along the way. I have also foolproofed about 6 LG sections. I always watch explanation videos after doing games and repeat the game until perfect. I also feel comfortable with the LG foundations - on blind review I consistently get -0 to -1. But on fresh timed LG sections, I can barely make it through two games. I am truly not sure what I'm doing wrong and find this to be extremely demoralizing. I would appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited February 2023 2239 karma

When you say you've fool proofed about 6 sections, do you mean 6 sets of 4 games (like a "section" from a PT)? If so, it's totally normal for you to be struggling with LG. Personally, I didn't see real improvement until I totally fool proofed ~25 to 30 full sections from various PTs. Even then I wasn't at -0/-1/-2, but I was noticeably improved from my diagnostic test.

When I was at your point (having fool proofed 6 sections), I also got stumped by nearly every fresh game I attempted. Don't be alarmed; fool proofing may take a lot of time but, if done correctly, it works. I'm by no means an LG whiz, but I am someone who struggled with even the simplest games when I first started and have since gotten better. If you'd like to chat about it, feel free to shoot me a direct message.

• XanderJohnXanderJohn Core Member
    32 karma

@"Matt Sorr" Yes, I mean 6 sets of four games. Thank you so much for your reply and for the encouragement - I'm relieved to hear that it's normal to still be struggling with LG at this stage. I'll keep pushing ahead, and wait till I've fool proofed 25-30 full sections before expecting significant improvement. Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited February 2023 2239 karma

@TheGuy1999 Glad to help! I remember getting discouraged sometimes when seeing people say things like "LG is the easiest section by far" or "LG is so easy to go -0 on" after I had already been practicing LG for an extended period of time. Don't let it get you down! While LG is the most mechanical of the sections, everybody takes a different amount of time to get the hang of it. I'm personally friends with a guy that mastered LG within two weeks of the first time he ever attempted a game and I've also read comments from multiple people that took 1+ year to see significant improvement.

All of this is to say: even if after 25-30 sets you're not feeling too much more confident, don't fret. 25-30 sets is just how much it took me to feel like I'd really improved. You may advance faster or slower! Additionally, remember that "improvement" is often relative to the difficulty of the section you take. Even after I'd fool proofed 25-30 sets, there were still occasional LG sections that I greatly struggled with. On one section, after having fool proofed for months, I even scored lower than my diagnostic! Improvement is almost never totally linear, but if you trust the process you'll absolutely get better.

Best of luck!