Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changed original right response to incorrect after BR

nessaaarnessaaar Core Member

Originally -7. After BR, -6.
HOWEVER, questions I flagged for review that I originally marked right, were wrong after BR. What does this mean? Should I trust my gut?

Comments

• JDream2023JDream2023 Alum Member
    984 karma

I had this exact issue. So my instinct was whatever caught my attention the first time, I am going to stick to it no matter what. It made sense for a reason. It has been beneficial! We can really talk ourselves out of a right answer.

• JesseWeNeedToCookJesseWeNeedToCook Alum Member
    137 karma

Getting something initially right but then wrong on blind review just indicates getting lucky for those questions (aka if given enough time your answer choice would've been incorrect).

My main take away from when this happened to me was to keep track of what your review behaviour is like under timed conditions as in "am I more likely to get a question right when changing my answer, or less likely, on exam day."

Then an additional point would to still do a thorough blind review, and if new mistakes appear diagnose them there and figure out what sort of trap answer was triggered.

• valentina.soares-1valentina.soares-1 Alum Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    194 karma

Hi @nessaaar ,

This could mean a number of things. It could mean that you didn't really understand the question, but got lucky the first time around. It could also mean that your gut is on point, but you need some clarification as to why that is to solidify the reasoning you are already using and feel more confident the next time around.

Either way, the important thing to do here is to spend quality time reviewing these questions. Try and ask yourself why you chose that answer and why you eliminated the others. Compare that reasoning to the reasoning given in the explanation videos and see if there is anything you need to change in the way you are thinking or that you need to incorporate and apply the next time you see this type of question. Was your mistake in understanding the stimulus or was it in eliminating answer choices? Is there a pattern with this type of situation or is it happening with all different kinds of question types? Ask yourself these questions, try to decide on a takeaway or two, and write it down in a wrong answer journal.

If you find yourself choosing the correct answer and then changing to the wrong answer under timed conditions, maybe try some confidence drills where you take a problem set or a section and you don't allow yourself to change your answer. Essentially you have to go with your gut choice and then you can spend more time deciding in blind review. Whatever your results are there, it can give you a lot to work with in terms of diagnosing what you need to focus on and practice moving forward. Another drill that might help is taking a section or a problem set untimed and writing down your reason for eliminating each answer choice. That way you have your thought process articulated from the moment you were working on the question and you can compare that to the reasoning in the explanation videos.