Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to studying LSAT

FresaMoonFresaMoon Core Member
in General 10 karma

I am trying to sign up for 7Sage but not sure if I should get live classes or not, does it work with your own pace? I’m on a bit time crunch I wonder if I should just do the regular without live classes? Very conflicted! Any help would be appreciated :) thank you!

Comments

• decesares1decesares1 Member
    85 karma

You can upgrade at any time. I'm choosing to go through all of the core course material and seek out additional resources (books and such) before opting for the live classes -- not because I'm cheap, but because I think this will be a more effective use of my time. (Once I know what my weaknesses truly are, I can choose to attend only those live classes that will address those weaknesses.) For example, I already know that time management will be a problem for me, and I believe 7sage has live classes addressing this concern and suggesting solutions. I'll more than likely check out that live class or the recording of that live class (if there is one).

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4572 karma

Hey @dorisisabelcabo! 7Sage Live Class Manager here.

If you feel like you're struggling with accountability, or some of the concepts in the core curriculum seem confusing to you (this is hard stuff after all), live classes can definitely help supplement your studies!

I noticed you said you're bit on a time crunch, which means it's imperative for you to be efficient with your time. One of our instructors teaches a Study Plan Workshop on Tuesday evenings to help students exactly with that. You can watch a free class from our archive here: https://7sage.com/event/study-plan-workshop-3/

We have classes weekly that cover subjects for beginners as well as advanced LSAT students, and our classes are designed so that you can hop into one and be able to follow along, no matter how long the class has been running for.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

@decesares1, I co-hosted a free webinar on time management strategies not too long ago, I'll link the recording below. I hope this helps you on your journey!

https://7sage.com/webinar/time-management-strategies/

85 karma

@"Chris Nguyen" said:
    @decesares1, I co-hosted a free webinar on time management strategies not too long ago, I'll link the recording below. I hope this helps you on your journey!

Thanks so much! Time management, for me, is a real concern. The one area that I felt most confident in, reading comprehension, has become my weakest area. (I'm an English teacher; I figured that reading comprehension would be my strength!) The problem is that, while I'm a good reader, I'm also a slow reader. I get the answers correct, but it's at the expense of not answering 4 or 5 questions at the very end and having to guess with 60 seconds on the clock. If I can figure out a solution to that problem, I think I'll be in much better shape.

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4572 karma

@decesares1 I'm a slow reader too, so I can really relate to that. How much time do you spend on average reading a passage? Usually, the time I spend reading a passage is fairly stagnant, but there are strategies you can use to eliminate any non-essential work to get your reading time down a little bit. Not everything you read in the passage is important, but if you read as if it is, then your passage time will suffer. Learn skills on how to identify what you need to pay attention to (i.e. author's attitude) and what you don't (i.e. usually small supporting details) to eliminate that non-essential work and get your passage time down.

For me, I usually take about 4 minutes reading the passage. That leaves about 40 seconds on average per question, so I have to be aggressive through the questions. But the way I read the passage allows me to be confident and choose the correct answer choice without having to go back to the passage very often. If you're spending too much time on the questions, you might want to consider reflecting on if that time was essential or not. Very often when I was studying, out of anxiety I would go back and confirm what I read in the passage when I essentially knew I had the right answer, because I "just wanted to be sure." Obviously this time was wasted time in the end and I had to practice eliminating that wasted effort from my process.

I hope this helps you on your journey! Let me know if I can clarify anything.

edited March 2023 85 karma

@"Chris Nguyen" said:
    @decesares1 I'm a slow reader too, so I can really relate to that. How much time do you spend on average reading a passage? Usually, the time I spend reading a passage is fairly stagnant, but there are strategies you can use to eliminate any non-essential work to get your reading time down a little bit. Not everything you read in the passage is important, but if you read as if it is, then your passage time will suffer. Learn skills on how to identify what you need to pay attention to (i.e. author's attitude) and what you don't (i.e. usually small supporting details) to eliminate that non-essential work and get your passage time down.

For me, I usually take about 4 minutes reading the passage. That leaves about 40 seconds on average per question, so I have to be aggressive through the questions. But the way I read the passage allows me to be confident and choose the correct answer choice without having to go back to the passage very often. If you're spending too much time on the questions, you might want to consider reflecting on if that time was essential or not. Very often when I was studying, out of anxiety I would go back and confirm what I read in the passage when I essentially knew I had the right answer, because I "just wanted to be sure." Obviously this time was wasted time in the end and I had to practice eliminating that wasted effort from my process.

I hope this helps you on your journey! Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Whoa! Thanks for all of this! I'm definitely spending more than 4 minutes per passage. I'll have to go back and check, but I'm certain it's more than 4 minutes. And I definitely go back to the passage "just to be sure" before continuing on to the other questions. It's wasted time for sure. I'm going to try not doing that from now on, in addition to paying attention to the essential information.

This is all good, good stuff! Can't thank you enough for the response!