Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR score fluctuation

SeouliteSeoulite Core Member

Hi guys, I was wondering if it’s normal for LR scores to fluctuate between -13 to -6. Both are my worst and best score on my recent LR. (I have been studying for some time; I’ve finished CC and been practicing tons of drills.) Let me know if any of you relate and if you have any solution for this!

Comments

• offy0c-1-1offy0c-1-1 Live Member
    241 karma

Hey, yes I have noticed that some of the sections tend to be easier than others as they are more four star questions for the harder one. I would say that the harder questions can be addressed in the same form that you take care of the easier ones, but what tells them apart is the way that they are formatted. They simply require more time than the easier ones as they are more convoluted with phrases. I would say try spending more time up front with these questions and you would be able to see the difference.

• u______uu______u Alum Member
    233 karma

I'll say that anytime you get more than 10 wrong on LR, irrespective of whether you had a "bad day" or whatever, means you have holes in your fundamentals because that means you're getting questions that are 3 stars and under wrong. Ideally, any question 3 star and under should be a freebie, contingent on what score you're aiming for, of course. I'll also say that you shouldn't gauge your level off your best performance, since that can lead to situations where you attribute poor performances to whatever factor. In addition, it's safer to prepare yourself for your worst possible performance for test day, rather than to hope you can get lucky.

For potential solutions, I would advise working on your fundamentals more. There's really no point in attempting more difficult questions if you're not consistently getting easier questions correct. You might also benefit from working on timing strategies here. For instance, 1 minute per question for any question 3 stars and under when you're drilling. The lesser time allotted might lead to some initial score drops, but it'll help you focus in on the more relevant details in the stimulus and help hone your "instinct." When it comes to PTs, you should absolutely be aiming to finish the first 10 questions in 10 minutes or less.

Finally, you must review questions you get wrong in depth. You only have a limited number of questions available to you for your whole LSAT preparation, and you don't know how long that's going to take. Quality of study is always more important than quantity of study. Blind review your answers. Make note of questions that were particularly difficult in an excel file or something. Go review those questions again a couple days later.

• SeouliteSeoulite Core Member
    edited May 2023 42 karma

Thank you so much for your in-depth evaluation of my problem! I feel like I should go back to CC.