PT26.S2.Q11 - commercial passenger airplanes

edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 6 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-26-section-2-question-11/
I chose E instead of A, and still don't see why A could support the argument better. Can anybody explain that to me? Thanks.

Comments

• NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    "A" strenghtens the argument because it asserts that action taken in response to the warnings do not pose any risk to the passengers. This is important because the argument is that this new system should be implemented, even though it warns airplanes to avoid phantom airplanes, which are not threatening to airplanes. Does this clarify why "A" is a great answer? "E" just simply restates what the new radar system does, which the stimulus already tells us. I think you need to follow the three most important steps in LR.
    1. Identify the conclusion
    2. Identify the stimulus
    3. Figure out how the premise supports the conclusion
    I think that you were paying to much attention to the background information on the radar system, which in not pertinent to the argument.
    @chengjingwen1993

• Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Hi, the argument concludes that passengers are safer with the collision-avoidance radar system than on comparable airplanes not so equipped.
    Why? Because this system provides pilots about the proximity of other planes, and it warns pilots to take evasive action when it indicates a possible collision.

One flaw that I see is that the author has taken for granted that this evasive action does not jeopardize the safety of the passengers. What if, in taking this evasive action, the safety of the passengers are put at risk? Answer choice A affirms this assumption, and therefore, strengthens the conclusion. Answer choice E just tells us of the process of how the radar system works, but, is it the case that passengers will be safer on these commercial airplanes than on comparable airplanes not so equipped? It doesn't really do anything for our argument.
  • 6 karma
    Thank you guys.