Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The big picture of why this test is important

zhenderszhenders Free Trial Member
edited January 2014 in General 228 karma
I teach quite a bit, and have a number of close friends who teach all over, from ESL teachers in other countries to teachers in high schools and universities -- and depending on the community, but especially in university, one thing that constantly comes up from students is this idea that we are living in a post-racial society.

It's hard to imagine anyone really feeling this way -- but what it suggests overwhelmingly is that so, so many people of this and the adjoining generations are completely sheltered from their own privilage.

I spend a lot of my time thinking about and writing about gender and race issues, and when stuff like the link I'm sharing below comes to the surface, it's hard not to feel sick to my stomach for days -- but it's also why this career choice of ours is important.

It doesn't even matter really what type of law you plan to go into. If you want to be a BigLaw partner and do corporate law, great. If you want to do PI work, double great. But on the road to obtaining that job, we will all be living for three years surrounded by the laws of our country. We will come out of that experience at the very least with a deep appreciation for why law is important, and most especially, the POWER that it has to do both great good and permit great evil.

Check this link out. Get angry over it -- please. Add it to your list of reasons why you want to go to law school: whether you want to work actively to end this kind of bullshit or not, one day after graduation you WILL bump into an opportunity to be a part of righting a wrong. This is the world we live in -- and we are going into one of the few professions that has a shot at changing it.

Let's kill the LSAT. Then, let's dominate in law school. Then, let's be the kind of lawyers and citizens that we want to be surrounded with -- and when opportunities arise to make a difference, let's use that education and experience to PROVE that's what we want.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/23/darrin-manning-testicle-rupture_n_4651700.html

Comments

• hyunnysoo-1hyunnysoo-1 Free Trial Member
    18 karma
    Yes, yes, yes! I totally agree with you that the LSAT, going to a good law school, or even just being a lawyer should not be the end goal. It's about what kind of lawyer you want to be, what kind of difference you want to make. Thanks for sharing.