Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about notes

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
in General 7294 karma

We want to improve our notes features and we need your input!

What format do you take your study notes in? Handwritten, Word doc, spreadsheet, etc?

Roughly how many notes do you have altogether, in any format? Approximately how many do you add each week (or month, or whatever)?

What do you takes on? E.g., lessons, live classes, PrepTests, drills, questions, explanations, or anything else? If you take notes on more than one kind of thing, roughly what percent of your notes fall into each category?

Please respond in the comments. Thank you for your help!

Comments

• cladefeedcladefeed Core Member
    edited January 6 104 karma

My LSAT notes are in Obsidian because of the easy-to-use subheaders that allow me to open and close subsections within a page. This is helpful for different LR question types and key takeaways by PTs. The side-by-side layout for the menu and page also makes switching between folders really easy. Some of my main folders in the menu are Question Types, Technique/Approach, Progress Tracker, PT Review, and subfolders of each LR question type to break down my analysis of actual LSAT questions. What I really wish it has is a table feature for a wrong answer log. Currently you can create a table, but it's cumbersome because you have to build it with html.

• Lemonade170Lemonade170 Alum Member
    5 karma

I take notes on wrong questions in my drills and PTs. I use goodnotes and freeform because I like to see the question (screenshots/export pdfs) side-by-side with the explanation, and this is one of the reasons I do not use the explanation note feature on 7sage anymore -- it's just to difficult to categorize and review (I have to click for questions, and there's almost no categorization)

• kaybyrdykaybyrdy Live Member
    32 karma

I like to handwrite my notes, specifically important information that I find helpful throughout the explanations and lessons. I write quite often, as I find it allows me to internalize the information better (every day or so). But, because it does take me much longer to write than type, I typically only write down information that can be used in several contexts, not just for an individualized question.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7294 karma

@Lemonade170 thank you! How would you want to categorize your notes?

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7294 karma

@cladefeed thank you! Would you want the table to contain only questions that you got wrong? Do you ever take notes on questions you got right?

• kaiya123kaiya123 Live Member
    edited January 9 104 karma

Though I am typically a handwritten notes girly, it takes way too long for me to use this format for my LSAT studies. I LOVE the notes feature on 7sage. At first, I didn't utilize it because I didn't yet realize that there was a feature to see all of my notes together.

Now, I use this feature all of the time. I use it on lessons and drills (I have not yet taken a Preptest or any live classes). I type notes for almost every single lesson and drill - even if I got the answer correct. I have more notes for the lessons simply because I have gone through more lessons than drills at this point in time.

It's really helpful to have this feature. In the beginning, when I was handwriting my notes, it was such a pain to keep track of what lesson, problem set, etc. my notes were referring to.

I am grateful for how the "my notes" feature is set up. It's awesome that this feature includes both the particular lesson the note was written for AND the section of the course that the lesson is in.

Also, it's really great that I can view my full notes, which are sometimes paragraphs long, all in one place without having to click on the lesson.

When I made the switch from handwriting my notes, to adding them directly into the lessons, I was a bit concerned that I may not retain the information as well as I was typing rather than writing.

But, I was wrong. I would actually say I retain the information better when using the notes feature for a few reasons:

1. I can write very thorough notes without a significant time hindrance and the nuance of my hand cramping up or the ink mess (I'm a lefty).

2. As alluded to above, the notes are automatically organized for me under 'my notes' which makes reviewing them a breeze

3. The fact that I can go back and edit/add to the notes gives my type A personality a sense of calm that helps me retain the information much better

Unrelated - I left the following comment under 'Introduction to Logic' lesson 56 of 59 in response to someone else's comment:

"Dear Admin: For the sake of my sanity, and several other 7sagers, please do us a solid and let J.Y. know that we are on the struggle bus and that we would be eternally grateful for a clarification lesson on why the logical indicators we were taught do not always function as logical indicators in certain statements #admin #help #feedback" (my apologies if this stress induced comment sounded rude...I tried to go back and edit it after I had a snack but was unable to do as as the time window had closed)

I know you are all busy answering so many of our questions, but if you could please bring this comment to the attention of someone that can help I would sincerely appreciate it!

• cladefeedcladefeed Core Member
    104 karma

@cladefeed thank you! Would you want the table to contain only questions that you got wrong? Do you ever take notes on questions you got right?

I break down questions I got right and wrong and also use the table as "scratch paper" to break down questions untimed. I do all that in Excel.

• gardeniabluegardeniablue Core Member
    18 karma

So, I have two designated notebooks. One is for initial notes and it's kind of in chicken-scratch format, then I rewrite it more neatly in the other notebook. I write down lessons and sometimes questions if I think they're particularly hard.