Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to study while you're in school and working

lavenderhoneylavenderhoney Live Member
edited March 6 in General 30 karma

I'm a non-trad student (27, still in undergrad because I took several years off due to certain life circumstances) and I work Friday-Sunday in healthcare (pharmacy tech), and I do not truly have any days off. During law school, I plan to quit working, but I'm not able to yet. I just feel like I don't have any time to get much LSAT studying in between working, my classes, and sleeping. My highest PT score is 151, and although I know that isn't horrible, I want better so I can get scholarships and in top 50 school if possible. My CAS GPA is going to be poor because my freshman year, my dad died and I quit going to class for a while and failed 3 classes, but I have done really well since I went back, mostly As and a couple Bs. So, I have to get a good LSAT. Anyone have any tips how to squeeze in some LSAT studying while working and school?

Comments

• msruby1981msruby1981 Live Member
    58 karma

Girl, I work 2 jobs and have a two year old . I have to work overtime to make ends meet. What you do is any free time you have devote it to LSAT. You have to give any free time you have to studying. During your lunch do a drill, listen to a class while you make dinner, or find a way to make time. There are no short cuts in this. If you only have one off day then use that time to study. You are just gonna have to find a way to make time. There isn't a magic gimmick to this. During down time at your job drill or listen to a class. The LSAC makes you work for it. If you're truly hungry for this then you will find a way.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    edited March 7 996 karma

I work full time and have little ones. I do 10 drill question types a day or even a passage a day. If I have to, I’ll wake up at 4:30 a.m. and work until 5:30 am. You’ve to do something. Make it work for yourself. I know you can do it. It is not quantity but quality for me. I also listen to 7sage podcast on my drive to or from work. Immerse yourself even for 10 or 20 mins. It does wonders.

• slayer_of_lsatslayer_of_lsat Core Member
    13 karma

I completely understand you! I work a full time job as well, most of which is in person. It's definitely hard to fit in the time but like someone else said, you have to dedicate some of that "free time" to studying. It's not fun but I know it will pay off in the end! Figure out when the best time is for you to focus and try as best as you can to shape your day around that. For me that is the morning, but for others it's the evening. Getting up really early in the morning has helped a lot (4/5am). Sometimes studying 1-2 hrs before work, then listening to the 7Sage podcasts on the way to and from the office. Then when I'm home I will fill in another 45 min burst if I have the energy, and if not then I take that time to rest. If you're working nonstop you will definitely hit a wall. A quality study session is always going to be worth more than a dozen sleepy sessions when you're not fully present. You got this!

• 120392054902912120392054902912 Core Member
    edited March 13 88 karma

If you're short on time, Efficiency is your best friend. You want to go for the low-hanging fruit/the points easiest to get/most bang for your buck. There are 7-8 flaw questions per Logical Reasoning section. Make sure you are great at spotting flaws in arguments. Do 10 easy LR questions in a 10 minute drill, or 5 hard questions in 10 minutes. For Reading Comp, you can drill one passage and its 6-8 questions in less than 10 minutes. If you are taking before August, very most Logic Games take less than 10 minutes to drill. After a while of even just this drilling, you can hone in on what your weaknesses are so that you aren't wasting time on something you're already very good at/getting diminishing returns from.

• sgoldsmith7sgoldsmith7 Live Member
    739 karma

I feel this! I work full time at a law firm in addition to school full time (thankfully I graduate in May!) and being married, having 3 pets, having church obligations, being pre-law president, etc. (it often gets overwhelming lol😬) not to say like I do so much look at me! But because I know how hard it is to balance LSAT prep with all of your other obligations, especially work and school! For me personally, I have found that getting up earlier to study has really helped me be more disciplined and motivated. My husband is in the Army, so for the past several months I’ve been getting up at around 5 and studying until I get ready for work at around 7. This is not for everyone; but, if you go to bed early enough, it really will help to have these extra hours in the morning before your brain is fried from everything else in the day. Like some others have said, use whatever free time (not all of it though, self-care is important to avoid burnout!) you have to study. Sometimes, I’ll do an LR or LG set during my lunch break. Or, if my husband is on the phone like last night, I’ll use that time to get a quick LG or two in. If you aren’t super busy at work and you aren’t worried about getting in trouble, you can do some quick drills in between your work hours. It might seem little, but it will add up throughout the day. Good luck! You’ve got this 👏🏻

• robertsnicholaspaulrobertsnicholaspaul Live Member
    edited March 21 15 karma

I really respect anyone who is studying for this test while working. I'm mid career going back to law school (after seven years of grad school including a PhD!) and having been on many hiring committees for different things, I'd pick someone who managed LSAT studying while also working and adulting any day of the week.

• reece.colinreece.colin Live Member
    23 karma

My life doesn't seem to be as hectic/busy as yours, but I do also work a fulltime job. You really just have to devote any time you can to studying. Sadly there isn't some magic hack that allows you to do everything all at once for the LSAT and in life. The plain boring truth is you just when you are able, you simply must study for the LSAT when you have time. In regards to your poor CAS GPA, when you're applying to schools, make sure to include the reason as to why in your personal or your character/fitness essay.

• reifoursuccessreifoursuccess Core Member
    2 karma

I just started studying 4 days ago myself but have put in over 8 hrs. watching YouTube courses and playing logic games before i signed up to 7 stage 4 hrs. ago. I work for the university as a PSO. I am blessed that my station is in the liberty so my studying is during my overnight shift. I am a God father of 3 and manage a household of 7 so aiming for a full ride. it can be done just take it one day at a time even if you got to push you test back a few cycles so you can study more.