Inferences - How to get better at realizing them!!

legalpsxolegalpsxo Alum Member
in Logic Games 12 karma

Hey guys I feel like Im able to solve questions but sometimes watching the videos I realize I did not make inferences upfront and split into game boards which would literally cut the time I take to do questions in half.
How can I get better at identifying and pushing out inferences up front from a set of rules?

Comments

• jbantonyjbantony Core Member
    36 karma

A couple things that help me when looking for inferences, get really good at representing rules in conditional logic, and chain as many rules up as you can. After every represented rule at least think about the contrapositive and see how it interacts with the rest of the game rules. Also when they restrict game pieces in terms of where they can be placed think about what can go in the slots upon understanding what cannot. After your done representing each rule just think about the relationships between the rules. I find this test has a lot to do with relationships, how premises relate to conclusions in LR, how paragraphs relate to each previous and subsequent paragraph in RC and how rules relates with other rules in LR, everything is connected.

I also recommend doing a lot of games untimed so you get better at identifying certain relationships and inferences that reoccur in certain game types. For example like distribution inferences.

I personally also like to map out a potential completed gameboard after all the rules are done being written, this way I get a much better idea of how the game rules interact with each other and it gives me a better idea of other restrictions/potential inferences. Also I like to quickly skim through the actual questions themselves after having my set up done. If there are a lot of questions that give you additional premises then you know that this is a rule driven game which means that there are not too many upfront inferences you can make so this saves you time from trying to figure out too many inferences upfront.