Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT retake decision

Cole2002Cole2002 Alum Member
in General 20 karma

Hello,
I am looking for advice. My current plan is to apply early for the upcoming law school cycle and work for a year in-between. I just graduated with my undergrad in engineering at a gpa of 3.6 but I am worried about improving my lsat score, my first lsat was in November and I got a 166. I retook it in April and got a 167. I'm wondering if taking the lsat for a 3rd time is a good decision , my current motivation is a at an all time low after getting such a small increase.

Comments

• GNA451--GNA451-- Core Member
    74 karma

I would suggest adding a bit more context here - e.g. what types of schools are you shooting for? That would inform the retake decision. I'm sure you can get into plenty of schools with your statistics, but if you're hoping for the T14 or T6, that might change the calculus.

E.g. Looks like the highest odds in 7Sage Admissions Predictor (far from definitive of course as it doesn't factor in softs) are 28% (UCLA), which might not be palatable to you if you're set on the T14 and then you might want to retake.

• equallyyokedequallyyoked Live Member
    468 karma

did they release analytics from your two tests? If so, then perhaps you can drill what you got wrong. Plus if you're taking August and beyond you wont need to study LG. So focused time on LR can hopefully increase your score.

• Cole2002Cole2002 Alum Member
    edited June 4 20 karma

I am shooting for T14-T20. So I think the higher score is necessary, which means a retake is in my future. If you have any tips on improving RC that would be very appreciated. I do not think I have access to my test analytic, when do they usually release them?
    Thank you

• Ms.AsiaMMs.AsiaM Live Member
    24 karma

Hi, Cole if i were you i would not retake. Your LSAT Score is only one component of your overall app. You still have personal statement, optional essays and etc. you could very well aim for a higher score above your goal schools median and still not get in to your top T14 choice. your score matters but it is not everything. if you can, reach out to the schools you're interested in. speak with someone and disclose your stats. Why retake it if you can put more energy into capitalizing off what you have left to do? Get some volunteer work in if you can. Admissions committees want to know you who are outside of just your score and GPA. Congrats on your 167 btw! you're doing gr8, but you know better than anyone in the comments what best for you.

• yayafyayaf Live Member
    19 karma

A 3.6 and a 167 can get you into a T20 school if you have strong essays, recommendations, and resume. If you have no motivation to retake the test, I would try your luck in applying. Best of luck, I hope to reach the spot you're currently at in the next few months

20 karma

Thank you for the advice I will definitely look into reaching out to my top schools and strengthening my essays.

20 karma

@yayaf said:
    A 3.6 and a 167 can get you into a T20 school if you have strong essays, recommendations, and resume. If you have no motivation to retake the test, I would try your luck in applying. Best of luck, I hope to reach the spot you're currently at in the next few months

Thank you , and good luck on your LSAT journey