Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Can't Focus

emmastevens9875emmastevens9875 Core Member
edited July 17 in Off-topic 10 karma

I have (I wouldn't say crippling) horrible anxiety for 6 years as well as being tested for ADHD right now and have other health stuff. I just quit during a PT cause I was getting so frazzled and want to cry. My diagnostic was May 2 and I haven't even finished the core curriculum. My diagnostic was a 148 (I was impressed), did another first week of studying = 148, then I got a 142 and 145 after doing a lot more studying. [all of my tests I haven't guessed if I don't know an answer - I just leave it blank to see how many I'm actually getting write - but I also don't get to all of the questions - I can't answer the last passage and usually miss 3-5 LR] I feel like I'm watching law school slip through my fingers. If I don't study one day or only do a couple hours I feel guilty and am hard on myself for not being productive. I was working FT and went to PT to study and it is not paying off. I'm writing Oct 1 and 2.5 months is not enough - I don't neeedddd a 170 but I need to be able to get in and I really don't want to go to a law school outside of my city because of cost of living. Every day I get more anxious because I am not seeing any increase. I can't afford a tutor.

Comments

• lkminlkmin Core Member
    14 karma

Hey Emma. I am still studying for the LSAT and not close to an expert by any means, but I would suggest working in smaller increments. Do 5-10 question drills and take breaks frequently. Try to work in small blocks rather than taking long section after long section (it can get exhausting). I would spend time watching videos and answer analysis when you feel like you can't focus on solving regular questions. Also, break the practice tests into section -> break -> section -> break.... it isn't the real LSAT; it is just practice and I promise no burnout + consistent practice (no matter how many hours) is better than taking PT after PT and burning out.

• taylorrschneider21taylorrschneider21 Live Member
    14 karma

I don't have advice for you but just know I am dealing with the EXACT same situation.

• marimari Live Member
    8 karma

Just want to tell you that I am going through the exact same thing right now, and to also think about potentially getting accommodations for longer testing time if you can! You have got this!

• angie20166angie20166 Live Member
    63 karma

Hey Emma,

I totally hear you! The pressure and stress probably aren't helping with your studying. I was diagnosed with concentration issues when i was a kid, so I completely understand.

Something that really helped me was to approach studying like an athlete approaches their sport. Even if you're having a tough time now, remember that you're putting in the hours to get better in the future (improvement wont be instantaneous). Focus on your sleep and nutrition, and cut out things that aren't improving your concentration. For example, I stopped using apps like TikTok for the past six months, and I've seen a great improvement in my concentration.

I also keep a dedicated journal for my LSAT motivation, jotting down little things that resonate with me. I look at it before I go to bed. When I'm feeling like "I can't," I read about developing a growth mindset and delayed gratification—total game changers.

Also, I have a list of the hard things I've previously done / overcome, even when I didn't think I could in the moment. This list reminds me that I can do hard things, even if I'd rather not.

I'm sure you've done some amazing things, so don't count yourself out of the game. You still have plenty of time to study, and you can't let your mind tell you otherwise.

Hope this helps!

• darman45darman45 Live Member
    139 karma

Just adding to what's already been said here - I wouldn't sweat it tooooo much if you don't finish the core curriculum! I started taking PTs after I finished the Foundations because I just got so antsy and nervous about not knowing if I was actually making progress or not. While it's probably best not to use up all the PTs in haste, I think you can definitely improve by doing what you're doing. Are you blind reviewing? I ask because that could give you some insight into the core curriculum sections that would actually be helpful for you to do/review, rather than feeling like you need to do them all.

All that aside, I too have panicked through a PT and just been disappointed with myself for not keeping it together. I was so upset at one point that I made it my top priority to take a PT with the primary goals of (1) breathing and (2) redirecting myself away from panicked thoughts and back onto the words on the page. I managed to do it and it made me feel great - it wasn't my best PT score ever, but it helped tremendously in allowing me to convince myself that I can handle the pressure and not get lost in the sauce.

Good luck :smile:

• annaroseb108annaroseb108 Core Member
    3 karma

Hey so if your diagnosed with anxiety you can probably get time and a half on test day if you apply for accommodations. Also (even without accommodations) try taking a PT without any time limitation to see if your grasping the concepts and just need to get better with timing. I have ADHD and I totally understand feeling like I can’t sit and study. I typically get out of my house and go to a cafe or somewhere as it helps me feel more motivated and reduces things I can get distracted by. I do not study every day as I don’t really have a time frame and doing so leads to burnout so it’s easier to give myself breaks. It’s actually more productive for me to take weekends off and study 4/7 days of the week (I give myself a little midweek break sometimes if I need it). On top of this when I do feel burnout I take 3 to 4 day breaks and focus on literally anything besides the LSAT. Your going to be fine, keep working hard and give yourself some grace.

• Valentina.ishchenkoValentina.ishchenko Core Member
    9 karma

I wish I had advice but all I can say is real... We've got this.

• Avery BryantonAvery Bryanton Core Member
    23 karma

Hi Emma,

I totally feel where you are coming from. If you get diagnosed with ADHD, I would first obtain a letter from your psychiatrist so that you can use it when applying for accommodations on the LSAT. Try to make it through the lessons on the core curriculum as much as possible. This is what helped me break out of the 140's was learning all of the question types and how to go about them (take notes on the lessons to refer back to later if needed). Then start taking sections one at a time, blind reviewing them, and writing the ones you get wrong in a wrong answer journal. You have to learn why you got the answers wrong and why the right answers are correct. I have been doing this for about 2 months and just recently broke into the 160's. You got this! Do not worry about the amount of time you have just make the most of your studying.

• valeriezzvaleriezz Live Member
    11 karma

Hi Emma! I'm in the same spot too. I'm struggling to study and every time I do, I have so much anxiety to the point I feel like I'm not retaining anything. It's also scarier feeling alone in the process. I've been looking for virtual study groups to get advice, tips, and overall just support. Maybe that might also help for you too? Just know you aren't alone. <3