Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to approach studying for Reading Comprehension for August

sunnydayjsunnydayj Core Member

Hello! I have been studying for the August LSAT, and feel like I have come a far way with LR/have been focusing most of my time on that. As I've started doing the more recent PTs, I have noticed my reading comprehension scores have been worse and I have been having a much harder time with them. I went from getting -2ish to -4 or 5. Specifically, I feel like I am running out of time or don't remember the parts of the passage that I need to. Accordingly, I've decided to turn most of my attention to RC.

Does anyone have any advice on what to study and practice for the next couple of weeks to hone in on a method to attack these passages? I began the RC core curriculum, but I'm not sure exactly what I should be getting out of it. Is time best spent reviewing these example videos, practicing on my own, or doing specific practice drills? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• ntrepanier5ntrepanier5 Alum Member
    321 karma

I found the strategy outlined in this thread from a few years ago to pretty helpful:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/26560/my-guide-to-reading-comprehension-part-1-long-ish-post

• beyondpossumbeyondpossum Live Member
    89 karma

I'd reccomend starting with the newest PTs and working backward. Because they new format has less RC, it might be useful to skip around between PTs to the RC sections to balance out your practice (I'd reccomend doing the experimental sections that are RC)..

• sunnydayjsunnydayj Core Member
    23 karma

Thank you both!

23 karma

Will take a look

edited July 22 23 karma

Do you think it's useful to watch the example videos in the RC curriculum or would be a better use of my time to practice and drill like that other post lays out?

• ntrepanier5ntrepanier5 Alum Member
    321 karma

I came to 7sage after doing curriculum sort of study from another service, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of the 7sage example videos, but it looks like there are only 7 walk through passages, ~9 hours. With 2.5-3 weeks until the August test, I don't think it would be a waste of time by any means to see how a 175-180 scorer approaches RC passages in those videos. It would probably take 2-3 days? So I think that could definitely supplement your drilling.

But yeah at the end of the day, knowing how JY (or whoever does the videos) thinks is important bc they did really well on this test, but knowing how YOU think and YOUR strengths/weaknesses is the most important, and I think that can be best developed doing a lot of drills.

Depends on where you're at in your test prep journey and how much time you have. If you still feel like you're confused when you're reading thru passages and questions, then yeah give the videos a peek. But if you feel like you have the method down and really just need to sharpen/solidify your skills, then getting high quality practice and review via drills is probably your best bet.

23 karma

Thank you for the detailed response! That makes sense, will probably do a bit of both over the next couple weeks