Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Should I keep my score? - 7Sage Forum

Should I keep my score?

gigiflwigigiflwi Member

I took the August LSAT and received a score back today lower than was hoped or expected. I’m registered for October as well and I know I can do so much better than I did. Should I keep my score so law schools can see the progress made or is it better not to report it so that they don’t judge me based off that score?

Comments

• jblrecordsllc-1jblrecordsllc-1 Core Member
    1 karma

I'm in the same boat I'm not sure if to cancel or not. I also am having doubts about taking the October test.

• gigiflwigigiflwi Member
    5 karma

Me too, I know I can do better, and I want a higher score but school just started and I have a lot on my plate I don't even know how much time I will actually be able to put towards studying in just a month. Are you feeling similar?

• tinacioust-1tinacioust-1 Live Member
    146 karma

How much lower? Is this your first exam? Is the score at or below your target schools' medians?

• cjoystannacjoystanna Live Member
    edited August 29 31 karma

I'm in the same boat- this is my first lsat and its lower than I had been PTing and also about 5 points lower than the median of the schools im looking at. I'm taking again in Oct. Please leave any advice!

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    198 karma

Hey Gigi! The age old question. Based off things I've read and heard, like the 7Sage LSAT podcast, I would suggest considering keeping the score. I think it's not super strange for an admissions officer to look at your LSAT transcript and see that you took it once, then took it again and got a higher score. If anything it shows that you did some serious work in between those two tests and you knew you could do better. Then the worst case scenario is if you cancel this score, but then in October you get a lower score but since you cancelled your first score you have to settle with the lower of the two.

Personally I think a rule of thumb is that it's a big unnecessary gamble for anyone to cancel their first score no matter how much lower it is than they know their potential is.

• beyondpossumbeyondpossum Live Member
    89 karma

cancelled scores look like 150s or lower to schools.