Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sufficient vs Necessary

cpedolzkycpedolzky Core Member

I feel like i have been getting these confused. Could someone explain the approach to solving these? I know the NA has to be true but what does that even mean I think im overthinking these questions.

Comments

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    edited September 8 198 karma

NA must be true for the argument to hold any water at all, SA makes the argument valid. NA are usually very weak compared to SA, things that you might take for granted.

Example of NA:
    If the weather is good tomorrow, we will catch lot of fish at the lake
    The weather will be good tomorrow
    Therefore, we will catch lots of fish
    A necessary assumption here would be that there are even fish in the lake to begin with! Something so subtle that you could honestly pretty reasonably assume to be true without it being stated out right.

Whereas SA questions are something that makes the conclusion valid. I like to think about it as we have conclusion Y, we need to find answer choice X that works as a sufficient assumption to trigger the conclusion, in other words X->Y where X is the answer choice and Y is the conclusion in the stimulus.

Example:
    The weather will be good tomorrow
    We will catch lots of fish tomorrow
    Sufficient assumption: if the weather is good tomorrow, we will catch lots of fish

I hope this helps!

• bokadigbobokadigbo Core Member
    2 karma

Great Explanation!