Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asking for Letter of Recommendation

Hello,
I am working a full time job at Goldman Sachs. Just graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in May 2024. I hope to apply to law school in the 2026 cycle.
Since I am 1-2 years out of school. Any tips on: A) Who to ask for letter of recommendation? B) How to ask them? C) How much leniency law schools will give me about my LORs given that I am years out of school?

Thanks!

Comments

• ronikgrewalronikgrewal Live Member
    19 karma

sorry the sunglasses emoji is a typo meant to put 'B)'

• tbynum30tbynum30 Live Member
    8 karma

Hey! I too am also out of school and will be in the 2-3 years out when applying in 2026 cycle. I want to preface that the following advice is what I personally have been told by multiple admissions officers and through research with the schools I am applying to. Some of it is also personal advice from my past cycle experience. So take it with a grain of salt :)

From what I have been told by admissions, you should still generally have at least 1 academic reference and then 1 professional reference. If you apply and you are more than 5 years out of undergrad, then admissions may make exceptions and allow only professional references.

When it comes to who to ask- I would ask a professor that knows you well. Maybe you had more than 1 class with them, or during that class you went to office hours a lot, participated well, etc. It should be someone who can really speak to your academic capabilities.

For professional references- a current boss is great, or a recent boss from a college job possibly may work, but it should be someone who can attest to your current professional capabilities.

In terms of how to ask- what I did was email a prof I was going to ask and set up a time to meet via Zoom. I shared updates on what I do now and why I am still interested in law school. I would also go over WHAT you are looking for in their letter. Are there particular strengths you have that you showcased as a student that they can attest to?

I hope this helps! P.S GTHC and Go Pack!

• samlandau160samlandau160 Live Member
    14 karma

As for who to ask, try to reach out to professors who you think you've stood out to during the course(s). This can be hard but it'll make for a great LOR. As for how you ask them, if you're local try to catch them during office hours and ask in person. If not, email them. Just be short and sweet and tell them you had a class with them and that you'd like to know if they'd be interested in writing an LOR for you. Be sure to ask well in advance to give them ample time to do it.

• chicagwachicagwa Core Member
    8 karma

Echoing others for A. For B, a brief email will suffice. Simply say you're applying to law school and would like a LOR. Perhaps share a few details about why you chose them (i.e., what impact their class had on you and what strengths they can likely speak to). Just make sure to email your profs now while you're relatively fresh in their minds. They won't actually be able to submit the LOR until you're ready to apply, but the fresher their memory of you, the better the LOR will be.

Can't speak on leniency, but plenty of folks apply to law school with 2+ years of work exp – and plenty get admitted.

• ronikgrewalronikgrewal Live Member
    19 karma

Thank you all so much very useful!