Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Striving for 180 BR !

guitarnaraguitarnara Alum Member
edited August 2015 in General 365 karma
I have been stuck in the 155-158 range for a month and, recently, I broke into the early 160s (160-161 last couple PTs).
As many people suggested on this forum, I focused on augmenting my BR score. I used to hit around 165-168 (BR) , but now I usually score 170-171(BR).

I am aiming for 165 + in October and something tells me that, if I am hitting 170, with all the time in the world, I still have a ton of work to do.

Timing is still an issue for me and there seems to be a general consensus, among many sagers, that it is intertwined with how well one knows the fundamentals. I am a believer that the two are causally related.
Since BR is one of the best indicators of how well I know the fundamentals, I want to push for more

Any practical tips on how to attain a perfect BR score???
Even a 1 point increase seems incredibly difficult.....

Thank you

Comments

• fishtwentyfivefishtwentyfive Free Trial Member
    227 karma
    Obtain a PT and do not take it under testing conditions... just 'BR' it. That is, just take all day to do it. Then score it. Take the time to write out a paragraph if you need to in order to reify your thoughts for a particular question. And if you seriously do not know the right answer, don't select an answer yet. Figure it out. I know that's the whole point of BR, but sometimes we forget and just select something so we can sleep that night.
  • guitarnaraguitarnara Alum Member
    365 karma
    But I am guessing that I shouldn't do this with a fresh PT, after 39+ ?
    227 karma
    @guitarnara
    I don't know where your concern arises... that leaves you like 35 PT's. Considering you're planning on taking it in October, I can't imagine you'd be able to reasonably take all those in testing conditions anyway without burning out hard.
    365 karma
    @kylemitchellx I am on PT 53 and my plan is to take 3 PTs each week until the 3rd week of September
    227 karma
    @guitarnara
    Oh
    I see. Yeah I probably wouldn't waste any then. You should take them all in testing conditions. I imagine the only way you can increase your BR score is to either take it more serious, if you can, or change the method of your approach. When I BR LR and I come to a question that is giving me trouble, I type it out and color-code all the logical components of it. I then color code the logical components of the answers. I then rigorously apply rules of logic until I figure out the right answer, with absolutely no doubt in my mind. This sometimes takes like 45 minutes per question LOL. But it's the only way for me to understand...

I'm convinced that the LSAT is so difficult because of time constraints and test-day conditions. I also believe that almost everyone should be regularly BR'ng well into the 99th percentile.
    365 karma
    Oh Wow I will definitely try to apply the color-code idea! And from your post, I am definitely convinced that I should put more effort into it (45 mins per question !!!!!).
    @kylemitchellx said:
    the right answer, with absolutely no doubt in my mind.
    I also think this will be KEY
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I think the better way to go is to make two copies of a PT, take one timed (circling questions for BR as you go), then do those BR questions on the clean PT so you're not fighting against your old answers. Taking an untimed PT is not the best use of your time because in my opinion you gain a lot more from seeing how your brain works on timed tests, why and how you make confidence errors, and what gaps really exist in your skill set.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I always print one copy of the PT, and then print a clean copy. Go through the answers and REALLY critically look at them. Just because you think your answer is right, doesn't mean it is...... take the time to really reason out why you think your answer is right and the others are wrong. Do the same for all sections.
    365 karma
    When you work from a clean copy do you guys usually go over the entire test again or just the questions that you circled?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @guitarnara said:
    Any practical tips on how to attain a perfect BR score???
    Good goal :)

@guitarnara said:
    When you work from a clean copy do you guys usually go over the entire test again or just the questions that you circled?
    Back when I had more time and was less burned out, I went through the whole test. Now, I'm happy to do the ones I circled. Typically I am pretty good at circling the ones I miss, so that's good.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Taking an untimed PT is not the best use of your time because in my opinion you gain a lot more from seeing how your brain works on timed tests, why and how you make confidence errors, and what gaps really exist in your skill set.
    I agree with what you're saying here. I have a couple of extra PT's I've never taken and I might consider doing sections untimed for the purposes of seeing what I still don't understand. But I've also done like ... 50+ timed PT's. And mostly I just kinda feel like it would be refreshing to do this in the next few weeks. And mostly because I might just feel like it one lazy afternoon/evening.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Just do the ones you circled... You're going to review your confidence errors later after you score the test anyways so there's no point in covering the one's you got right with 100% certainty...
    365 karma
    Thank you for all your sound advice! It's time to put it into action!