Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Pencil Thread (7Sage style)

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Guys, I got the black regular Ticonderogas. These are the pencils for me! Combined with the long-point sharpener, they are golden.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Ahh sometimes I wish I lived in the U.S. Canadian prices are basically an extra 20$ on top of whatever the price for the U.S is.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @jdawg113 said:
    black Tri-conderogas are top notch, prefer them over reg black ticons
    They are great for me, even with smaller hands. Tips never break, stay sharp, and erasers work well and hopefully won't be used often.
    Thx to @nicole.hopkins for starting this thread - i was practicing with mechanical pencils in my pre-7Sage world of idiocy.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 8021 karma
    Practicing with mechanical pencils is awesome because it's harder to bubble completely :P
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I found 4 packs of ticongeroga blacks on sale for $.99 each today!
  • kaytheehkaytheeh Member
    132 karma
    So, I got all three talked about here: the Ticonderoga, the Palomino, and the Mirado Black Warrior. the Palomino is the softest (great for filling in the bubble but it gets dull quick), the Ticonderoga is stays sharp longest but is the lightest, and finally, the Mirado is in the middle - not as dark as the Palomino but stays sharp as long as the Ticonderoga. But since i bought all three, imma taking in all three in various quantities.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Yeah I use the palomino (blackwing 602)'s as well. I need about 5 to comfortably write four sections. I'll probably need 7 for the entire test including the experimental and essay portion.

I heard the palomino pearls are more for writing while the BW 602's are more for drawing. I may try the pearls.
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    I write everything in pencil, notes for school, messages to myself...everything...I use the
    Black Ticonderogas. I tried around school supply season to go with cutesy decorated pencils and just hated everything about them... +1 for Black Ticonderogas.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @ENTJ said:
    Yeah I use the palomino (blackwing 602)'s as well
    hipster
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    I used regular presharpened ticonderogas and they were great.
  • artemisartemis Member
    edited January 2016 53 karma
    Wow, what an awesome discussion! I love research in all its forms, and having an excuse to buy a dozen different pencils and play with them is fun project. And now I know why my friend, a lawyer, has a mini fetish for pencils and pencil sharpeners and keeps so many pre-sharpened pencils around!

I tried a bunch; the Blackwing Pearl and the Black Tri-Conderoga were my top two choices. Then I tried the Staedtler Wopex and now have a third contender for favorite pencil.

The Wopex is an extruded pencil. Because it's made from wood composite it is dense and feels substantial in the hand (heavy). Holds its point well but is finicky about sharpeners. Not as dark as the Pearl. The eraser is excellent (better than both the Pearl and Tri-Conderoga). The coating feels nice in the hand, better than the Pearl but not as nice as the black Tri-Conderoga.

If you are a pencil spinner, both the Wopex and the black tri-conderoga spin well. :-)
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    edited January 2016 13940 karma
    In some of the live videos, you'll see me using the Staedtler pencils. I really like them. I didn't know they're extruded! It's the heft and density that I like. Sometimes I do reflexively spin the pencil and they are well balanced.

Disclosure: I've never used the Blackwing Pearl nor the Black Tri-Conderoga (only the standard yellow which I didn't like).

Do you guys know if this "HB" Staedtler is considered a "#2" pencil?
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    My Scantron sheet says "use black No2 or HB pencils only", so I'm guessing they are similar enough. The common wisdom of the internets seems to be that a "middle of the scale" HB is pretty much a 2, but none of the scales are truly standardized.
  • nikdim67nikdim67 Member
    51 karma
    I am a pencil sharpening nazi.. went though about 3 inadequate sharpeners studying for the lsat. I recently purchased the best pencil sharpener I've ever used!

It's about $6 from Staples.

Staedtler® Double-Hole Metal Pencil Sharpener

http://www.staples.ca/en/Staedtler-Double-Hole-Metal-Pencil-Sharpener/product_628442_2-CA_1_20001
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Irrelevant pencil knowledge: Lead types are graded the way they are by 'hardness' - so, a #2 pencil is harder than a #1, but softer than a #3. Standardized testing companies all specify #2 because they're worried about the mechanics of a scantron. #1 pencils smear really easily (leading to stray marks, bad for scantrons), and #3 pencils don't mark quite as darkly due to their hardness (leading to marks not getting picked up, also bad for scantrons). #2s aren't actually different composition-wise than any other pencil lead, that particular level of hardness just strikes the best balance between dark marks and non-smearing.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying that HB is perfectly fine to use because really any pencil is fine to use; it's just that some hardness levels will cause you many more headaches than others, so it's best to stick to #2/HB to strike the balance.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I really like the black Tri-Con and it doesn't roll around. Will check out the Staedtler...
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Interesting @"Jonathan Wang" (Who'd have thought all that pencil knowledge would come in handy one day.)
  • beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma
    I'm chuckling at this thread because I went through this discussion a few years back with my daughter who is an art major in fashion design. She couldn't believe I didn't know the difference.

Anyway, there isn't an industry standard per se. Generally in the US a No.2 is equivalent to HB. If you're really interested below is a chart from pencils.com showing the gradient of the lightest to darkest. This website also has a great explanation on the graphite grading scale as depicted below.

• cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    I like the tri-conderoga as well, but sometimes they sharpen funny. Need a triangular sharpener, lol
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Just what I've noticed:
    The Black Warrior tends to have "softer" lead. It dulls a tad quicker than the Ticonderoga. I've found that it's one of the best pencils for bubbling in answers. The Ticonderoga on the other hand, tends to stay sharper for a longer period of time. It's great for logic games.
    Just my $.02.
  • artemisartemis Member
    edited January 2016 53 karma
    Not all the Staedtler pencils are extruded, of course. This is the Wopex extruded pencil I like.

I live near a Maido store so it's easy to test out and buy single pencils. And just like this guy at Pencil Revolution I wouldn't have thought I'd like an extruded pencil. I was surprised by how good it felt in my hand when I picked one up at Maido. They had other Staedlter and Mitsubishi pencils there, as well as the entire Blackwing line, the "limited" edition volume pencils included.

If you like to sharpen to long points, the Carl Angel style sharpeners are great. Work fast, center the pencil so it's not cut at an angle, and stop sharpening automatically. Nice metal body construction. They do make teeth marks on the pencil, though.

But the Tri-conderogas and other big pencils don't fit in the Carl. They do fit in the Dahle 155 but it has a plastic body and the front panel has a strong spring and doesn't have a catch to hold it open to insert the pencil. A little harder to use than the metal Carl. On this one you can adjust the point length (but not angle). It also bites into the body of the pencil.

If the body marks bother you, there is the Classroom Friendly version of this style of sharpener. It has a plastic body, comes in a large hole version, the front panel has a catch point to hold it, and has a larger the normal bin. The pencil clamp has plastic bumpers to hold the pencil instead of teeth so it doesn't mar the pencil body. It does not have a point adjustment screw like the Dahle, however.

Oh, and don't use any of these with the Wopex. It is finicky indeed. A high quality blade sharpener is best with the Wopex.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @cjones76 Indeed, Tri-conderoga's are a pain to sharpen, I have a "sweet" elementary suction cup'd sharpener with all the different size holes, any other options?
  • Edward__Edward__ Alum Member
    edited January 2016 36 karma
    I used a child's pencil - MY FIRST TICONDEROGA, they are much fatter than normal pencils - which reduces stress on your hand and also gives you a larger eraser.
    I kept them in my front jacket pocket for easy grabbing.
    I didn't bring a sharpener - I had 5 sharpened pencils in my pockets, who needs to waste time sharpening?
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rRi39S0hqTo/UYINzis9LpI/AAAAAAAAB-M/3xrKaNMiO1U/s1600/My+First+Ticonderoga.jpg
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    Ticonderoga for the win although I have never used the triangle variant. Also have never used Staedtler pencils that @"J.Y. Ping" referenced, I will have to give those a look for sure.

For everything else G2 Pens 1.0mm and 0.7mm for review and my Safari and Metro Fountain Pen for notes.
  • jimenezja.jjjimenezja.jj Alum Member
    187 karma
    I have the yellow Ticonderogas and they get very dull and I'm constantly sharpening with a pencil sharpener that doesn't really give me a good point. After reading this thread I want to invest in some new pencils. I'm left handed btw. please help!!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    edited January 2016 1762 karma
    I've been using this pencil this week.
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/107580/Office-Depot-Brand-Wood-2-Pencils/

I've used this pencil for a bout a year
    http://www.amazon.com/Dixon-Ticonderoga-EnviroStiks-Natural-96212/dp/B001UXMBC6/ref=sr_1_17?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1453298932&sr=1-17&keywords=ticonderoga+2+pencils

I have sweaty hands and I feel like a non-paint finish helps me grip better. The office depot pencil is darker and softer but I had to sharpen more often with this decent sharpener
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/591215/tug-2-Hole-Manual-Pencil-Sharpener/

All in all i'm going back to my old pencils with a non paint finish.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @twssmith - the tri-conderogas can be sharpened with the large hole of the Staedler sharpener mentioned by @nikdim67. I got mine on Amazon instead of Staples ( http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Double-hole-Tub-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B001E67Z16/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1453332770&sr=1-2&keywords=staedtler+sharpener ). While I do like how they feel in the hand, I find that they get dull a lot faster than a regular ticonderoga, probably because they can't be sharpened to a nice long point.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @runiggyrun thanks for the link. Although it is a piece of junk and the suction doesn't work worth a darn, this Xacto sharpener gets the Tri's to a very long point that lasts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQOMB?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Haven't used a pencil in a decently long time... but I stick with my post from way back... Tri-cons all day, they're just so comfy... and feel like a diff material than ticons, all around more comfortable to hold/use... once you find a sharpener that works well they are perf imo
    318 karma
    I also enjoy the Staedler pencil I trade off between them and the tri-cons. But the triangular grip of the tri-cons is great.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Does anyone else think the Tri-cons get weirdly sticky? I buy them from Amazon; is there another way to get them?
  • beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma
    I don't use the Tri-cons so I don't know about the stickiness but Staples has the Tri-cons for purchase. http://www.staples.com/Tri+conderoga+pencils/directory_Tri-conderoga+pencils?
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"J.Y. Ping" has converted me to the fabulous Staedtler Noricas. Divine. http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Norica-Woodcased-Pencils-Black/dp/B00HK8TSCG
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2016 2654 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Does anyone else think the Tri-cons get weirdly sticky? I buy them from Amazon; is there another way to get them?
    never experienced that, mine were always fine
    318 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor I don't feel like mine get sticky either. I got mine from Staples.

I like the Staedtler Noricas as well, but I feel like they get dull pretty quickly
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Wow! I was intrigued by @Edward__ post so I was checking them out and Amazon had a huge pack on sale.

Not only does your hand not cramp, it seems to only need two "swirls" to fill a bubble completely.

I think I found my new pencil! I'll look like a 5 year old but if I save a minute on bubbling time per section I'll take it!!
  • dkim13dkim13 Member
    17 karma
    Natural wood Ticonderoga. Lack of paint helps me to keep a tighter grip on the pencil without having to worry about sweaty hands
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Just had to revive this most excellent thread. Just got in my Palomino Blackwing long point sharpener and it’s pretty rad. Much easier to use than my previous sharpener- the K-Bar BK9. Also, I’m not entirely sure the BK9 would be allowed on test day. Don’t particularly like my Ticonderogas- black or classic, so got some Staedtlers on the way.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Can’t Get Right" said:
    Just got in my Palomino Blackwing long point sharpener and it’s pretty rad.
    Bomb dot com!
    3197 karma
    @"Can’t Get Right" said:
    Don’t particularly like my Ticonderogas- black or classic, so got some Staedtlers on the way.
    Try the "My First Ticonderogas" that @Edward__ recommended... its amazing and I think it might actually allow bubbling in faster, as it takes less strokes... I think he was really on to something. Looks silly but feels GREAT!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I still am absolute about the Tri-conderoga's - but regret to say my last box had a few pencils that quality control should have caught.
    I refuse to check Amazon on how many "boxes" I have ordered over the last year. But I was the idiot that started studying with mechanical pencils so I have always been thankful for @"Nicole Hopkins" starting this thread!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I'm curious to see how it will fare in the long run. I'm on my second sharpener, and the blade that allows for a sharp, fine point dulls quickly. I think they give you a replacement blade though, but I accidentally threw mine away (if there is an extra blade at all, that is). I'm not sure if I'm sharpening too hardcore or what. The sharpener lasts but a month or so for me.
    27809 karma
    We’ll see @danielznelson! I’m just excited to be tagged! They changed the username rules so I couldn’t have the epiphany in “Can’t” anymore because it was screwing everything up. Oh well, I stuck to my guns as long as I could. Y’all can tag me now, so I guess that’s something.
    27809 karma
    So my Staedtler Noricas came in. They have a little more weight than the standard Ticonderogas, but the main difference is in the lead. It’s a relatively soft, creamy lead. It doesn’t hold its fresh, razor sharp point quite as long as the harder Ticonderogas, but the softness of the lead reduces the chance of breakage and contributes to a smoother writing feel. Switching back to the Ticonderogas feels really scratchy. But what I really love is that it has a really rich darkness to it. Being used to seeing everything in ink, pencil writing has always felt very unsubstantial to me. But not with the Staedtler. These guys are hearty and bold.
  • cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    730 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" I'm sorry to say I'm not a huge fan of the noricas. They're smooth to the point of being slippery in the hand, and like the above poster said they lose their sharpness very quickly. they do sharpen very well and they don't break, but constantly resharpening them isn't much fun.
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    I am the idiot who used mechanical pencils while prepping and now I'm having a tough time adjusting to real pencils. The biggest problem for me is having a dull pencil, and I find that the Noricas don't retain their sharp point. For me, having a thin, sharp point is critical when it comes to games. Can anyone recommend a pencil that retains its sharpness?
    Also I find that the erasers aren't nearly as good as the ones from mechanical pencils. They often leave smudge marks and I don't want to have to deal with this on test day. Can you also recommend an eraser that is effective/neat? Thanks in advance!
    27809 karma
    Have you tried the Ticonderogas @StopLawying ? If sharpness is your priority, those are the best I've used. I’d also recommend the palomino blackwing sharpener. And whatever you’re using, just make sure you have enough presharpened that you can grab a fresh one as often as you need.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Still advocating for the TRI conderoga's - do not roll on the desk and have the sharpest point using an elementary school sharpener that lasts longer because of the thicker diameter of lead inside the pencil. The erasers are good if you pre-use them before PT but I always keep a white eraser if I have an unfortunate and catastrophic bubbling error on the scantron to recover as quick as possible (hasn't happened yet, but I am heeding the advice of those before me to be prepared.)
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    just make sure you have enough presharpened that you can grab a fresh one as often as you need.
    ^^^
    3197 karma
    @StopLawying said:
    Also I find that the erasers aren't nearly as good as the ones from mechanical pencils. They often leave smudge marks and I don't want to have to deal with this on test day. Can you also recommend an eraser that is effective/neat? Thanks in advance!
    Pentel white erasers are amazing, I have actually erased an entire 10 Actual with one... and still have it to use! Just be sure to leave the wrapper at home come test day.