Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to raise 10 points in 2 months for the October test?

hj060815hj060815 Alum Member
edited August 2015 in General 51 karma
So I took the LSAT 3 years ago and got a 147. Since a year ago, I've been half-ass studying and have been PTing at around 157-160. With intense studying for 2 months...is it possible for me to get to minimum 167 for the october exam? It seems so impossible to get to the mid-high 160s. I don't even know HOW to study and what is effective studying. I have 5 brand new PTs that I haven't touched. I really want to go to a top 14 law school. I really want to be done with this exam...and go to law school next fall. I've been delaying it since last June because I'm not scoring what I want. How do I need to study and how many hours? Is it really possible? My worst sections are LR and RC. I'm feeling so hopeless...

Comments

• brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Have you been through the 7Sage curriculum? If not, get on it asap. The increase you're looking for may be difficult, LR and RC are not as easy to improve on as LG, but it can be done. Work hard to understand the fundamentals covered in the curriculum and you'll be on your way.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    @hj060815 What if I said it wasn't possible. How would you respond?
  • __Juan____Juan__ Alum Member
    184 karma
    Yea it is, I've done it. Went from 150 to 167, and rising, from June - July. Doesn't mean you can or can't though. It just means someone could. IDK how much that helps.

You need to go through the curriculum, follow instructions, drill, and PT. Then you drill, look at another curriculum (Trainer), drill again, and PT. Then you repeat, rereading parts of the curriculum that correlate with your weak spots.
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    Of course it's possible but it completely depends on you. Like @ENTJ said, "what if we said no". Study hard and smart and you'll peak in due time
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    I'll refer again to a favorite quote of mine by Confucious, "he who says he can and he who says he can't are both usually right." Make up your mind and do it.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @hj060815
    I think a 10 point increase is attainable in your case. A score in the mid 160s requires knowledge of the fundamentals, which you can master if you study hard and consistently. The sky is the limit. If you were trying to increase from the high 160s to the low 170s, then I would be singing a different tune, but a score in the 160s can be accomplished with lots of effort and perseverance. Best of luck to you.
  • 10 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" logged in just to like ;)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" said:
    Make up your mind and do it.
    this tho.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    I try. ;)
  • hj060815hj060815 Alum Member
    51 karma
    Thank you for the encouragement! I needed it. Even though I'm scoring low right now - around 158-160..should I be taking a lot of timed practice tests? When I do stuff untimed...I feel like I get it but when I'm on the clock I like blank out and just have no idea what I read for some LR questions and end up wasting so much time...
    I don't know how I need to be studying and what "quality" study is.
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    I know what you mean. Don't check the time. You're focusing on it. And when you're focusing on the time, you're devoting a part of you brain to time and not to really understanding and comprehending what you're reading.

So what I did when I experienced this were 2 things: 1) just check time at the 10 min mark to see if I'm on track and 1 or 2 more times and that's it; and 2) this is connected to 1 but focusing less on time allowed me to really get into the questions. When you do this, you just understand more with your full brain and just naturally go a bit faster
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @hj060815 said:
    Even though I'm scoring low right now - around 158-160..should I be taking a lot of timed practice tests?
    Yes.

@hj060815 said:
    I don't know how I need to be studying and what "quality" study is.
    PT and full BR = quality study. What you do in the times when no one is watching ... That's the quality stuff :)
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    What you do in the times when no one is watching ... That's the quality stuff :)
    I think I'll make this my philosophy... my life philosophy.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I would say all you should be doing at this point is taking timed practice tests and BRing them. Maybe throw in there some LG practice so you can max that out because I think games are the section most likely to benefit from drilling. Other than that, PT and be honest with yourself about where you are now and what you need to do to get where you want to be.
  • rohamnaderirohamnaderi Alum Member
    23 karma
    Meditation will significantly help you
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @rohamnaderi said:
    Meditation will significantly help you
    While meditation can help certain people with certain issues, this person needs to really focus on hitting the PTs and BR hard at this point in the game. Meditation is helpful for stress and burnout, but doesn't really directly reinforce fundamentals which is what this person needs right now. By late September I could see the benefit being larger, and I understand the everyday benefit of meditation, but let's not shift focus away from the work that actually needs to be done.
    51 karma
    i should meditate...but meditating is difficult. I have difficulty concentrating when i'm NOT taking a PT...and get so distracted....is 5 minutes of meditation enough? how long does it need to be?

Also - today was the first time I took a PT in 3 months....since I was originally trying to take June LSAT...and postponed to October..it was a fresh brand new PT...and I scored a 165....-27 out of 100 questions. If only I can get like 10 more questions right consistently within the next month...and get a high 160 score for October....

I haven't looked at the answers so I will BR'ing it tonight!

Thanks for all the support you guys are all awesome!
    51 karma
    LR -8, LG -2 (I shouldn't have missed these two..careless mistake), RC -10, LR -7