Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Syllabus order

fuzzy228fuzzy228 Alum Member
in General 107 karma
Does it matter if I skip all over the syllabus? Should I be doing the curriculum in order?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Just go in order... It's easier to keep track of everything and there is a logical progression to it... Why would you pay for a service like this and then not use it as it is presented the first time through? They obviously put a lot of hard work and effort and have refined the order over the years, so don't try to reinvent the wheel here.
  • fuzzy228fuzzy228 Alum Member
    107 karma
    J.Y said this: Being nice is compatible with expressing your opinions / disagreeing. It's not always easy to disagree respectfully, but we should strive.
    Certainly wasn't a waste of his time.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    OP, what are you looking to gain by not following the order in the syllabus?
    8021 karma
    I don't really see what about my post was disrespectful or even in disagreement with anything... you asked a question and I answered it for you. And furthermore, if you're going to quote him and say that saying that wasn't a waste of his time, then why are you questioning the way he ordered the syllabus?
    107 karma
    J.Y also said this. 1. Be nice. Behind the screen is a person reading what you say to them.
    8021 karma
    I understand that, and I didn't become a mentor by being an asshole to people. I spend a lot of my free time helping people in these forums with a variety of issues and I'm one of the most easy going people you'll find on here and I joke around a lot more than a lot of super serious types. So I still don't know what you're talking about or taking issue with here.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    To answer the original question, @fuzzy228 it's up to you. If you're new to studying for the LSAT, I would highly recommend studying the syllabus in order. The syllabus is designed to teach you the fundamental logic of the LSAT before diving in to the separate sections (LR, LG, and RC). If you're not new to the LSAT, however, then it makes sense to focus on your areas of weakness. It just depends on where you're at in the studying process.
    107 karma
    To: blah170blah . Thank you for answering my question. You are right on point. That is exactly right. I am not new to the LSAT, and was just wondering whether I should focus on areas of weakness vs spending time on areas that I am already strong in. Again, thanks so much.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Hey @fuzzy228 , I think you're reading Pacifico and Nicole's replies the wrong way. I can tell they meant no harm, nor did they intend to be rude. Pacifico was saying that you should go in order and Nicole was asking why you want to go out of order. Perhaos we have some language barriers?
    107 karma
    Dillon,
    I beg to differ. Please see blah170blah response to me. That is the kind of communication that is needed. Concise, on topic, and respectful.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Why would you pay for a service like this and then not use it as it is presented the first time through? They obviously put a lot of hard work and effort and have refined the order over the years, so don't try to reinvent the wheel here.
    @fuzzy228 I’m guessing that this is the statement in question. If not, feel free to correct me. It looks to me as if he’s simply trying to support his conclusion with a rhetorical question. Unless there’s some knowledge between you that I’m not aware of, it doesn’t appear to be any less respectful than @blah170blah ’s:
    @blah170blah said:
    If you're not new to the LSAT, however, then it makes sense to focus on your areas of weakness. It just depends on where you're at in the studying process
    I think you take issue with @Pacifico's lack of knowledge about where you are in your studies and since
    Blah picked up on that you might not be a beginner, you found that more to your liking.

My take on your question is that it’s very personal question. For me, after I read the LSAT Trainer, I was perplexed why 7Sage didn’t start with Flaws first since their instrumental for over half of the LR questions. Now that I’m a few months away from the curriculum, I’m not sure how important the order is.

The key is no one is right and no one is wrong. It’s all dependent on your point of view. From @Pacifico’s point of view, his advice is spot on. From Blah’s point of view, her advice is spot on. From my point of view, my advice is spot on. The only one who can answer your question is you.
    8021 karma
    Your argument is flawed in that my original answer was more concise, on topic, and in no way disrespectful. It seems like you were just looking for validation of what you wanted to do and were going to do regardless of the advice given. I've given you helpful advice multiple times on almost every topic you have asked about so I really don't appreciate the personal attack. I'm not here to validate people's feelings and desires, I'm here to help people in the process that want to be helped. Take 'er easy and good luck.
    107 karma
    If I was looking for validation I certainly would not look in your direction. When I paid for this course, I had no idea I would be bombarded with unwanted comments from self-proclaimed "mentors" such as yourself. Mentorship is a two way street, I don't recall asking for yours. Since you are anxiously sitting at your computer awaiting every key stroke, others are not able to give their input.
    I am not receiving rent from you to take up space in my head or on my computer screen. You are officially ignored! Sorry, you're going to have to get your entertainment somewhere else.
    Find another source to assist you in boosting your resume. "Mr. Mentor".
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Hi @fuzzy228 Focus on the weak areas if you know what they are.
    107 karma
    LSATisland. Will do. Thanks I appreciate your help.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    Wow. I don't really have a dog in the fight, but mentors aren't self proclaimed. They are appointed by 7sage staff based on the substance of their posts and their ability to help fellow LSATers. Secondly, the whole point of these forums is to provide an outlet for people, such as you and I to post questions and receive answers from those that might have a little more knowledge than we do. So, when you post a question on here, you are inviting comments from those with experiences in dealing with the subject matter you are inquiring about, regardless of whether you agree with what they say or not. You can't have it both ways. If you ask a question and receive an answer that you don't agree with, simply disregard it and look for a better option. Answering a question in a manner that you might not agree with doesn't necessarily translate into disrespect.
    edited August 2015 7468 karma
    +1 @"GSU Hopeful" here. On this forum, we definitely entertain debate, and when we do debate, we really try to attack the argument and its reasoning, not the person. We really try to put some distance between the two.

You seem on the defensive, and I think it’s because when Pacifico attacked the implied reasoning for you to skip around the curriculum, you took that as a personal attack. I think you’re failing to see the distinction between the argument and the person. I’m in no way trying to dismiss any emotions you might be feeling, only that it might be possible that this is but a mere misunderstanding.

[Admin note: distinguishing b/t attacking the argument and attacking the person is a frequently repeated flaw in LR. +1 @"DumbHollywoodActor"]
    107 karma
    DumbHollywoodActor. There is a way to disagree respectfully. If you are unclear about a post, then the appropriate thing to do is to ask for clarification. I don't feel the need to elaborate any further, as the post speaks for itself. From beginning up to this point.
    Thanks for your response.
    7468 karma
    ok. But I hope you'll reconsider. We're all prospective lawyers here, I assume. Argument is good. It helps us clarify our thinking and our understanding of the world.
    107 karma
    DumbHollywoodActor. Yes argument is good, doing so respectfully. I appreciate you stating your opinions respectfully. That is what it is all about. Anyway, blah170blah answered my question which is all it was, hours ago. As well as LSATisland, as well as yourself. Thanks, very well appreciated.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Okay, I'm locking this. @fuzzy228 , you're the one being rude now. If you want to discuss the original topic, make another thread.
This discussion has been closed.