Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weakening Question Problem Set 1 Question 2

But why D? I had some difficulty with this particular question because it just felt like none of the answers were really weakening it. I am missing something or what? If someone could elaborate for me on why D is the right choice I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 3658 karma
    Hey Amy. Well first off, let's unpack the premise and conclusion that was made by Debbie.

Premise: A person that is being operated on can simply tell the surgeon about their pain level.

Conclusion: Therefore, we don't need pain protocols.

(D) completely undermines the statement made by Debbie because babies are what? 1) They are human. 2) They can't talk. This is our alternate cause that shows there maybe some situations that may necessitate the need for pain protocols for human-beings.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    The conclusion is pain protocols are unnecessary for humans.

The premise is that human beings can be told what’s going to happen to them and then they can decide whether or not to go through with it.

To weaken this argument, we need an answer that would explain why the premise is true (that a human being can be told what’s going to happen to them and then they can decide whether or not to go through with it) and that the conclusions might not be so (that pain protocols MIGHT STILL BE NECESSARY for humans.)

D gives us that explanation. An infant isn’t going to be able to make a proper decision about whether or not he or she can go through an operation.

Hope this helps.