Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

reading comp practice sets?

jrkovalsjrkovals Alum Member
edited February 2014 in Reading Comprehension 183 karma
Hi 7sagers,

I feel as thought having the ability to practice RC sections indivdually would help greatly. As I am going through PTS, after each one, i think about what went wrong and practice to improve it. this could be like a certain type of game, or type of qustions (i.e. most strongly supported). Id like to be able to have a bunch of old RC sets to practice with in hopes of improving timing. 7sage doesn't offer such adons or include them in updated packages. Has anyone bought something like this anywhere?

Thanks,

Jake

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    I devoted one of my days prepping to doing only RC. I used RC from tests I had taken. Even if I remembered the topic, I didn't recall the amount of detail to answer the questions. So I felt it was still worthwhile drilling.
  • MastersonMasterson Alum Member
    edited February 2014 15 karma
    What really helped me with the RC was training my brain to understand context that is written in a language which is almost alien. Okay.. Yes I know it is English, but even JY in the some the videos says that they the RC sections are very "poorly written."

What did I do to train my brain for the RC? Well as an English Major, I was required to take poetry and medieval reading/writing classes, so when I had to write an essay I had to really read poems slowly and carefully to be able to make an argument. Reading stuff like Milton's Lycidas, http://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/lycidas/, really helped because if I zipped though it I did not understand a thing.. only when I paused, reflected, and used my imagination to play out the poem is when it started to make sense. For me it was good practice to use those poems, but I would use them only as a supplement to the reading comp sections in practice tests.

Hope this helps...
  • LSATPuppyLSATPuppy Alum Member
    82 karma
    Just tried to read Milton's poem really slowly and still have no idea what the heck he's saying. Something about him trying to pluck berries and hairy mantles?
  • jrkovalsjrkovals Alum Member
    edited February 2014 183 karma
    thanks guys. @ masterson, I'll check out that poem.