Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice on how to increase speed...

neethusreeneethusree Alum Member
in General 30 karma
Hi all!

I just started taking timed practice tests at the end of July and have noticed that I need to improve my speed in all sections. In logic games, I'm usually able to complete 3 games and then am able to complete 1 or 2 questions on the last game before time runs out. In logical reasoning, I'm usually able to complete 23/25 questions and then have 1 minute or so to split between the last two questions. In reading comp, most of the time I can complete the whole section in time, but sometimes I run out of time at about 25/27 questions.

Any suggestions? I plan on taking 2-3 practice tests per week until the Oct test (I know... it's approaching so quickly, I'm terrified) but does anyone have anything concrete I can do to make sure my pace picks up before the test?

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Hi @neethusree Since you just started taking timed practice tests, I'd expect your speed to improve as you go along. Speed is tied to proficiency. As you get better and more experienced, you will get quicker.

For LG, remember to do each LG multiple times after taking the test. Also, for LG speed, consider spending more time initially before tackling the questions, as this may save time in the long run.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    I just tried a week taking and BRing three PTs. I don't know if it was just me, but I felt it was way too stressful. I was trying to relieve the stress of the upcoming Oct date approaching but instead put too much pressure on myself which cost me (my third PT was a disaster). I believe two is the most anyone should do in a given week. If you finish BR and you still have time and want to study just drill or whatever.
  • neethusreeneethusree Alum Member
    30 karma
    Thank you both for your responses! I'm going to just do two PTs a week - one on Sat and one on Sun until the test. And yes, @LSATisland - I need to spend more time actually making inferences on the main game board/splitting game boards if necessary before launching into the questions. I guess I always have the fear that if I can't make any inferences, then I'm wasting time, but I guess usually I will be able to make at least a few if I spend time thinking about the rules, right?
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Yes @neethusree you'll likely make inferences, but even if not, you will gain familiarity with the game and its rules which is not a waste of time.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    For LG, check out this approach: http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

For everything else it will come with practice. But you need to really push through quickly on the easy questions in order to have time for the harder ones. There are usually ~15 easy questions and ~10 harder questions of varying difficulty in each LR section. You need to see all of them so you can finish those 15 easy ones in 15 minutes or less and then you'll have 20 minutes for the remaining 10 or 11 questions. People tend to think reading speed is the issue but in almost every case I've seen that is not a factor. The factor is people spending too long on questions that are either wicked easy or wicked hard. Every question is 1 point so when you read a stimulus twice and have no clue what it's talking about, move on immediately. That 3 minutes you save right in that instant that you otherwise would've sunk into getting the (likely wrong) answer to that 1 question will allow you to get to 2-3 other questions that you can hopefully get right.

RC you just need to keep pushing as well, don't be afraid to skip a question and come back, first when you finish all the other questions in a section if you're still under the ~8:30 mark for that passage, and then again at the end if you can finish the whole section early.

If you can finish each section in 30 minutes then that extra 5 minutes will give you ample opportunity to go back for a fresh look at everything you got stuck on the first time.
  • neethusreeneethusree Alum Member
    30 karma
    Thanks for the advice! I put off practice testing until I can speed up on logic games, so I'm finishing up the Cambridge logic games bundle now.